Hen died - cause?

• 5 Replies

Helenaj

Hen died - cause?
« on: May 10, 2011, 21:21 »
One of my lovely Ixworth's died tonight. She was only 13 weeks old and was lovely - so friendly and just generally "naughty". I'm gutted, so upset.
She was perfectly okay when I let her out this morning, I always hand feed her and her two sisters every morning as they are the friendliest hens I've got, raised from the egg up. At 5 o'clock I went to give them their afternoon corn and she was standing in the corner, gaping but was still lively. I dosed her with wormer just in case as they've only had Verm X and not Flubenvet and thought I'd give her an hour or two for the wormer to work. When I went back up at 7pm she was down on the floor, so I picked her up and brought her down the house where I could keep a closer eye on her and take her to the vet tomorrow. Sadly, she passed away.

Anybody have any idea as to what it could have been to act so quickly, as I'm terrified the others may get it. They were perfectly fine but I'm going to worm the whole flock tomorrow with Flubenvet just to make sure. Could this have been gapeworm and can it kill so quickly?

louiseb22

Re: Hen died - cause?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 21:24 »
I'm afraid I don't know enough myself to diagnose but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can help.
I'm sorry she has gone, I know it can be very upsetting.
1 Coral Nick, 1 Rhode Rock, 1 Light Sussex,  2 Speckledy, 1 Columbian blactail, 2 welsummer, 1 Columbine
and 18 ducks/drakes/ducklings mix xxx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 06:47 »
sadly flubenvet takes several days to work so if it was worms her little body just couldn't cope any longer  :(. Keep the course up for the others for another 6 days.
Without a post mortem there is really no way of telling what she died of and for a good post mortem they need a live bird which is culled just before the pm or at a push that has died within an hour.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:05 »
I just can't understand that if it was worms it happened so quickly. I make a special fuss of my Ixworths as they are my favourites and up until yesterday she was fine, no gaping whatsoever. I always use Verm X on my younger birds because they don't mix with my older birds or go free range until they are 11-12 weeks old (I keep them in a 12x8 shed). She'd only been out with the others about 10 days, so I can't understand how a worm burden could have been created so quickly. Could the recent thunderstorms brought on some stress condition? Yesterday, we did have an almighty thunder and lightening storm which felt as if it moved the house at one point.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:33 »
there is no proof that verm-x works at eradicating worms even though several of us have asked for scientific proof the manufacturers have never responded. Flubenvet though does have proof.
If there was a thunderstorm it can have an effect on behavior however I doubt that this would make them gape.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:09 »
I'm so terrribly sorry for your loss.  You must be heart broken.  We had a hen that went down in two days and it turned out to be her heart.  Her comb had turned all dark and she panted a bit. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

xx
Dip has died

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 12:11
by Jeanette
xx
Why has my hen died?

Started by tomgood99 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 17:19
by tomgood99
xx
Another hen has died

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2008, 08:36
by poultrygeist
xx
She died........

Started by Happy-Hound on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 11:31
by azubah

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 39 queries.