She died........

• 11 Replies

Happy-Hound

She died........
« on: September 11, 2010, 20:27 »
Unfortunately Maisie died early this evening.  I put her in the conservatory in a dog crate by herself to keep an eye on her as I wasn't sure what was wrong, although I thought it was a problem with her crop.  My daughter and her friend went to stroke her gently to comfort her and she just keeled over backwards, flapped a bit and died.  If it was sour or impacted crop then has that been caused by something we have done?  They have grit mixed in with their feed.  We have only had her for a week, she actually died a week virtually to the minute that we took her in.  Also, is there anything that I can do to prevent that happening with the other 5 chickens that we have?  Any advice gratefully received.  Wendy

bantam novice

Re: She died........
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 20:51 »
So sorry to hear about Maisie.   :(    I'm sure you are doing all you can and I'm sure that someone with more experience will be along to give you advice.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

NormandyMary

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 21:46 »
Im really so sorry to hear of the loss of your Maisie.

Its awful when we lose our girls, just remember that we all share your loss.

Im sure someone will be able to help you with possible causes, I just wanted to add my condolences.

Mary.

Happy-Hound

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 06:33 »
Thanks for your good wishes, I'm amazed she went downhill so rapidly.  I can only think that she was unwell before and because we are new chicken keepers we just didn't realise.  My daughter was very upset as Maisie was the first chicken to lay and so provided her first boiled egg. 

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 06:59 »
Sorry to hear that Wendy.

The same happen to me earlier in the year. My bird just stopped eating and drinking and looked sorry for it's self. I took it to the vet who prescribed antibiotics but it died 24 hours later. The rest of the hens have been fine since.

Not much you can do to prevent ailments with chickens other than ensuring their coop is kept clean, feeding them correctly and treating them for internal and external parasites. They are good at hiding ailments and sometimes the signs only become noticeable when its too late to do anything.

The longer you have them the more you learn.

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 07:39 »
So sad at reading your awful news. We've had our chickens for a week too, so I can't imagine how you are feeling.

From everything I've read about poultry, the chances are extremely high that she was already unwell. I read that sometimes when there's something wrong it only shows itself at times of stress, and moving home is stressful for any chicken.

You could give your remaining girls a tonic to pep them up a bit - I'm sure others on here will know more than novice me!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 08:06 »
So sorry Happyhound

There is a usefull guide on the Poultry Pages for this and here is a link

http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/Chicken_a/chicken-crop/sour-crop-chicken.php

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 09:38 »
Hi Wendy,
Just wanted to say how sorry I am that you should have this heartache so soon in you chicken keeping life
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Jeanette

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 10:36 »
So sorry chickens are very good at hiding any sort of illness and it can often be to late when you realise there is something wrong with them. It is always very sad when one dies and i am very sorry.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 21:12 »
Keeling over backwards often seems to be due to heart problems or possiblly clotting. She might actually have died from a cause unrelated to her previous symptoms. It's just impossible to know for sure without an autopsy which you can request from a vet but I think they're pretty pricey.
Might be worth waiting and seeing whether any of your other chx develop anything.
Fingers crossed :)

Happy-Hound

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 06:27 »
Thanks for your messages everyone.  I must admit, the manner of her demise did seem a bit dramatic so maybe it was a heart attack, who knows, unfortunately funds don't allow for an autopsy so I will just have to keep an eye on the others, who at the moment all seem fine.  I will keep a close eye on them though.  Thanks again, Wendy

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 11:31 »
Unfortunately Maisie died early this evening.   My daughter and her friend went to stroke her gently to comfort her and she just keeled over backwards, flapped a bit and died.  If it was sour or impacted crop then has that been caused by something we have done?   Also, is there anything that I can do to prevent that happening with the other 5 chickens that we have?  Any advice gratefully received.  Wendy

I hope your daughter and friend were not too shocked and do not blame themselves. She must have been poorly for her to die so suddenly. These things just happen and there is nothing that you did wrong and nothing extra that you could have done.

My last hen is 'on the blink' at the moment. She is only 2.5 years old, but has good and bad days, so I am expecting her to die in the next few weeks or months. You do get very attached to them.

xx
My little hen died!!! Why?????

Started by redmolly on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 13:46
by redmolly
xx
Dip has died

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 12:11
by Jeanette
xx
Hen died - cause?

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:09
by LittleRedHen
xx
Why has my hen died?

Started by tomgood99 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 17:19
by tomgood99

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 40 queries.