Tyre towers?

• 3 Replies

reianki

Tyre towers?
« on: March 07, 2012, 20:56 »
Hello everyone!!  Just a quick question if I may?  I have recently moved house to a new area, and was unable to keep my allotment due to travelling a fair distance. There is a small allotment close to me but a ridiculously long waiting list. :(  I only have a small garden but wondered if I could use old car tyres on top of each other to grow veg? thought it would be ideal for spuds, carrots parsnips and leeks? ::)
what do you all think?

Kleftiwallah

Re: Tyre towers?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 21:20 »

I think it is an excelent idea.   Try and get tghe 'low profile' tyres from the tyre chaps as these have less tyre wall width.    Plant your chitted spud in one, wait for it to grow and then pop on another tyre and earth up and so on.     Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

reianki

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 21:40 »
Hi, thanks for replying!, been picking up a couple of tyres each week, my composter has gone down by half but contents look rich and dark so pleased about that. really looking forward to growing my veg, thought after losing my allotmemt that my growing days were over :(    really glad I thought of the tyres, and looking forward to getting started. x

jrko

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 22:45 »
have a look at vertical gardening.  If you have a wall that has adequate light you can hang window boxes up it or maybe guttering to grow lettuce.  There are also those ladder type systems that lean against a wall and have multiple shelves for pots etc
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

xx
Potato Towers

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 07, 2023, 07:38
by steven c
xx
Basil (The herb not Faulty Towers character!)

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 14:15
by potatogrower
xx
Car Tyre beds

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 21:59
by raisedbed
xx
tractor tyre planter

Started by Will1983 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 09:15
by gillie

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 39 queries.