Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

• 4 Replies

RosiesChooks

For the last few days my three girls have not been too bothered with laying eggs,I put it down to the heat.

Someone suggested to just feed them pellets,as Ive been spoiling them with greens etc in the afternoons.This worked yesterday as I had two eggs.
Today I only had one,then in the garage one girlie laid a soft egg and the others jumped on it and started eating  it!

Two questions please-should I stop feeding "extras" to help them lay and risk them getting bored with pellets?
...and how can I stop my (soon to be I feel)cannibal girlies attacking their own eggs,and laying in the coop and not elsewhere?
Thanks
 :(

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
My girls tend to stay in their run until they have laid their eggs, which is normally early in the morning. I make a point of checking for them as early as possible, then letting them free range after I've collected. If you find any broken/soft eggs it's a good idea to remove them straight away to prevent them eating them

RosiesChooks

Thanks,its just annoying as they seem to be laying later in the day-this was the afternoon,after I had let them out..only one seems to have the knack of laying at a respectable time in the mornings,and in the box,before I let them out for a ramble.
Strange!

:(

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
If they've all gone for a walk and one hasn't laid then I've known them come back to the coop, lay, and then wander off again. Can't think how I trained them to do this  :lol:

evie2

My girls last year when they were allowed to roam free started laying in a corner behind the garden chimney this lasted for a couple of weeks then they went back to laying in their box; although that may be because they stayed in their run for a week while we were on holiday  ::)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
Crows eating feed

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 11:24
by Springlands
xx
Cereal feed and grain feed

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:09
by muntjac
xx
How to feed/howmuch to feed

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 22:14
by Jacinta
xx
wet feed

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2015, 22:17
by Beekissed

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 35 queries.