matting beneath woodchip

• 11 Replies

louiseb22

matting beneath woodchip
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:41 »
Hi all
I am currently building a 24M2 run on my allotment for my girls and have read many threads on the pros and cons of woodchip and gravel as floor linings. As I can't see any major difference between the two I have decided to try the hardwood chip option to begin with however my allotment has a tendency to become quite soggy and I have toyed with the idea of putting pathway matting underneath the woodchip to try and add some stability to the ground. Does anyone know if this is a good idea or will my chooks just rip this to shreds? My girls are currently in my back garden which is now like a swamp and I would like to pamper them and make them a bit more comfortable by having a decent lining to the floor of the run that won't get them and me up to the eyes everyday.
Many thanks
1 Coral Nick, 1 Rhode Rock, 1 Light Sussex,  2 Speckledy, 1 Columbian blactail, 2 welsummer, 1 Columbine
and 18 ducks/drakes/ducklings mix xxx

Rhiannon

• Experienced Member
Re: matting beneath woodchip
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 10:48 »
I have a very muddy chicken run and i did some research , wood chip and not bark as this rots i was told and red mite loves it ...but then i saw a reccomendation for 10-20mm gravel, you just use a watering can with disinfectant (chicken safe) every so often over the gravel and rake it over no matting underneath  .

This seemed more permanant , ive yet to try it as ive just ordered some, and i imagine if its deep enough it will do the trick?

I am leaving a small area on the outside beside the chicken shed where im going to cover it over and put sand down , if its wet they tend to bathe in the shed in the bedding that im now useing Rape straw   for and it seems to be non dusty im assured and fine

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 15:29 »
I have rubber stable matting in my run, with Fetherbed stable bedding over.  My run is covered (the girls freerange in the afternoons) and matting enables a complete muck out about once a month on to the compost heap. No mud and can be scrubbed :)
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

louiseb22

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 16:50 »
Quite like the idea of rubber matting but I think it may be a bit expensive to do 24m2, one to keep in mind though :)

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 06:38 »
If you're on an allotment, I would be hesitant to put gravel or shingle down, as you will have a heck of a job picking them up if you ever want to move the coop to another area.

See if you can get hold of a tree surgeon.  You should be able to get a lot of hard wood chippings for fairly little money, and wood chippings can always be rotavated back into the ground, or raked off to a long term compost heap.

Even a little wood chip on the ground makes a huge difference to the stability of the surface, so i don't think you will need any matting beneath it :)

F1schuey

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 15:07 »
Im slabbing mine and using Wood Chippings, these hose down well and you replace only a couple of times a year. Im also having different levels and a sandy area, Luckily I can get unlimited free chippings and logs. I notice Rhiannon mentioned a chicken friendly disinfectant..... What do you use??? 
I have 1 Lovely Husband, 2 lovely children, Poppy the Jack Russell, Alvin the Hamster, Jemima & Florence, Ben & Jerry the Budgies and our gorgeous Chick Sylvia and Jess aka Terry :D

Helenaj

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 15:38 »
Is there an issue with putting childrens play bark outside in their run? I have a very large run and just outside of the coop it can get very muddy and mud gets carted into the nestboxes. I bought a few bags of play bark and just scattered it outside and it's dried the area up brilliantly and the girls seem to prefer it too. I used the play bark as it's not toxic. Is this okay?

louiseb22

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 15:39 »
At the moment I just sprinkle Stalosan around the place and in the coop once a week when I clean everything out, it seems to do the trick and keeps the smell down as well

Rhiannon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 16:25 »
Wood chip is fine but ive been told bark isnt , because it moulds and releases spores and red mite aparently like it  ? Tho if its in an allotment i can understand why gravel isnt practical , hardwood chips would be better ?

Helenaj

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 19:00 »
This play bark has been treated with a non toxic anti-fungicide, so spores won't be a problem. It's actually outdoors in my run (basically in a field) so if redmite want to get drowned in the rain , that's fine by me!

Rhiannon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 13:07 »
I am reporting  you to the Red Mite  Police   :wacko:   :lol:

Helenaj

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 17:53 »
Damn! Foiled again!

xx
woodchip

Started by TINTIN on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 20:46
by richyrich7
xx
Really Worried - woodchip

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 15:31
by beulah59
xx
Woodchip/shavings question.

Started by Rubellite on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 17:16
by Fifitrix
xx
woodchip/bark Vs 'pea shingle'

Started by cammi on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 20:25
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 34 queries.