Sick Vera....any advice?

• 21 Replies

compostqueen

Re: Sick Vera....any advice?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 13:05 »
I hope she's picked up by now  :)

if their crops are full they can be quite big and squishy so it could be just full as she's eaten, and is normal

Good to keep an eye on things though and the smelly breath situation.

Glad the forum was able to point you in the direction of a poultry vet  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 13:31 »
fingers crossed for her, keep us posted xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

joodith

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 16:05 »
I cannot believe the difference in Vera!  I kept her in her box in the spare bedroom last night and this morning was greeted by furious banging from inside the box....her ladyship demanidng attention! As soon as I lifted the lid she stood upright and gazed into my face as if to say "Well, where have you been? I want my breakfast, and I want it now!".....unbelievable.  Her crop has gone right down, her eyes are bright and her whole posture is more upright; she's taking her medicated water well, and has also devoured some mashed hard-boiled egg, a small pieve of boiled potato and several small  pieces of apple which I cunningly dipped in her water and fed to her.

She's also been out in the paddock for a rummage this afternoon, but I will bring her in overnight again, just to ensure she has more of her anti-b's.  Thank you all so much for your input, especially alancane who put me in the direction of a chicken-friendly vet, a lovely young woman who really seems to know her stuff. The cost, by the way, wasn't nearly as much as I thought it would be....consultation just under £15.00 and the meds about £13.....worth every penny to see my girl looking so muchmore like her old self.   :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 16:07 »
so please she is perking up  :D

compostqueen

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 17:21 »
Phew!  So glad to hear she is feeling much better  :)

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 17:59 »
That's really great new Joodith and I am pleased that Vera is picking up nicely. Sounds like she has a great mum looking after her!

At least you have a decent vet now - I think I would write a letter to the other one explaining the situation and how they lost your business. In this day, they should be developing the skills of their vets to get more business, not turn it away because of their ignorance or lack of skill or knowledge.

Really pleased Joodith.  :)
Alan

joodith

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 16:24 »
Thanks for all your help and encouragement. It's great to know there's a network of helpful and freindly chicken lovers out there!  :)

Just a quick Vera Update.....she continues to improve but isn't back to her old self yet as she's still a little hunched. However, she is taking more food and I'm continuing my cunning ploy of soaking some in her medicated water and hand feeding her a couple of times a day.   Yesterday was such a lovely day I went down to the paddock and let her and GP out for a rummage......Vera, though, preferred snuggling onto my lap where she shoved herself into my coat and had a snooze!  She's now back in the hen house with her friend GP who is laying again! 

Whoever said chickens don't have feelings and can't empathise obviously hasn't spent any time with them!

xx
Sick hen advice please

Started by richyrich7 on The Hen House

48 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 11:03
by richyrich7
xx
Any advice please - Sick Hen

Started by Roger Millen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 01:42
by hillfooter
xx
Very Sick Hen, Advice please

Started by twins on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2013, 09:00
by Sassy
xx
Advice on Culling a sick Hen

Started by Prod on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 09:12
by Casey76

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 36 queries.