feeding my new chickens

• 7 Replies

Brenda Babes

feeding my new chickens
« on: July 24, 2010, 17:22 »
I've had my 4 chickens for about 4 weeks now and would like to know what is best to feed them. I've been giving them some layers pellets and kitchen scraps such as any vegetable peelings, mashed potato, spaghetti as well as as many slugs, snails and bugs they can find but should they be getting more?
Sometimes I only get 1 egg a day!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: feeding my new chickens
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 18:15 »
I think you need to give us a bit more information about the hens Brenda :)

How old are they now ?

What breed are they ?

What accomodation do you have them in ?

Do they seem well ?

How much feed of each type are you giving them ?

Do they eat and drink well ?

pigeonpie

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 18:23 »
I'm sure everyone has their own views on this so no doubt you will have quite a few bits of advice coming your way.
Personally, my girls get unlimited access to layers pellets.  They also free range about an acre with plenty of grass and bugs and stuff.  I throw them some wheat to scrat at in the late afternoon and sometimes some veg scraps, more so in winter when there isn't as much greenery for them to pick at.  During the very bad weather when they spent most of their time under the bushes avoiding the snow I cooked them some potatoes every night (hubbie works on an arable farm so gets free access to all the small non gradable spuds, we also have a wood burner that is lit each night so it doesn't cost us anything to cook them).  Having just wormed them I know that in 7 days they ate only 6 kg of layers pellets between 11 of them, which I guess seems pretty low but they all seem quite happy and continue to lay well (apart from those in moult).  They can easily help themselves to more food if they thought they needed it.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 07:40 »
Mine have access to the pellets all day but I give them warm peas at about 9 just before bed. However I got a soft shell yrsterday so am reducing peas and making sure they get more layers pellets and oyster shell I find just warming pellets up with water is a great way of getting them to eat it :D  how old are your chickens 1 egg a day from 4 is pretty lame I'd want at least e ough for a breaky
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 17:40 »
I'm sure everyone has their own views on this so no doubt you will have quite a few bits of advice coming your way.
Personally, my girls get unlimited access to layers pellets.  They also free range about an acre with plenty of grass and bugs and stuff.  I throw them some wheat to scrat at in the late afternoon and sometimes some veg scraps, more so in winter when there isn't as much greenery for them to pick at.  During the very bad weather when they spent most of their time under the bushes avoiding the snow I cooked them some potatoes every night (hubbie works on an arable farm so gets free access to all the small non gradable spuds, we also have a wood burner that is lit each night so it doesn't cost us anything to cook them).  Having just wormed them I know that in 7 days they ate only 6 kg of layers pellets between 11 of them, which I guess seems pretty low but they all seem quite happy and continue to lay well (apart from those in moult).  They can easily help themselves to more food if they thought they needed it.

One of the benefits for the owner of free range chooks is being able to feed them less as they find a range food elsewhere and give tastier eggs. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

pigeonpie

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 22:55 »

One of the benefits for the owner of free range chooks is being able to feed them less as they find a range food elsewhere and give tastier eggs. :)

And big bright yellow yolks.

With the added bonus of not having many slugs left in the garden!!! 

Brenda Babes

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 10:47 »
My chooks are now about 20 weeks old and are laying everyday.......even get the odd double yolker........so I must be doing something right! Thank you to these pages and everyone who offers advice and help for making my chickens the best thing I've ever done. I LOVE MY CHICKENS!!!!!!!

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 10:53 »
You get double yolks when the birds are still practicing their laying so these will probably stop shortly. :)

xx
feeding chickens

Started by upthetump on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 21, 2008, 13:49
by babe
xx
Feeding fish to chickens

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 21:03
by Paul Plots
xx
Feeding meat to chickens

Started by SOURIS on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 01, 2007, 21:42
by muntjac
xx
Feeding Chickens Slugs

Started by fatbelly on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 09:52
by RosiesChooks

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 38 queries.