Cheap meal worms

• 20 Replies

bumblebee

Re: Cheap meal worms
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 20:13 »
From what I have read they die after they have laid.
All you have to do is keep the various stages apart. So at the moment I am removing the pupea from the mealworms as they change. If you don't they eat the other.
As the pupea change to beetles, I will then remove the beetles into a tank with bran / weetabix to lay the eggs.
It's one big experiment at the moment.

Spana

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 20:30 »
I used to breed meal worms only i had them in biscuit tins in the airing cupboard, it worked quite well. 
Sometimes they would escape, never worked out how, but i'd be lying in the bath and one would go scuttling round the skirting board in the bathroom. :lol:
They like raw veg to get moisture from.

bumblebee

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 20:48 »
I have got them in an old fish tank, in the spare bedroom. Hope they don't get out !  :ohmy:

Spana

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 21:04 »
Are you giving them any extra heat, it helps speed up the process :)

bumblebee

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 23:03 »
No special heat apart from the central heating which in this cold weather seems to be on an awful lot. Can't wait for the bill !

When you bred mealworms were you self sufficent on them or do they not last long once they have hatched into worms.
I have read that if you chill them it slows there growth. giving you longer to use them before they pupate.
What can I disguise them as in the refrigerator so that the missus doesn't notice  :lol:

Spana

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 10:16 »
Well, i wasn't very scientific about it all.  They did their thing and i just took a handful of worms out when i needed them.  I just have a childs book about keeping reptiles and used their method, and it worked.  I finished up with about 6 tins in the airing cupboard and kept them going  for  ages, it was several years ago now so cant remember exactly.

If anyone was thinking of giving it a try and buying starter mealworms from a fishing tackle or pet shop who buy them in, find out when they have fresh supplies  and buy them on that day so they are still alive.  After a week in the shop most in the little tubs  will be dead, and remember that doing it this way you are feeding live creatures to others and some people may not be too comfortable with that and are better with the freeze dried sort. :)

xx
How many mealworms is too many meal worms?

Started by wolverine on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post January 05, 2011, 12:43
by D
xx
First eggy meal

Started by tosca100 on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 07:48
by joyfull
xx
meal worm seedball things

Started by pandoradeus on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 13:36
by pandoradeus
xx
Day 20 under the Broody - Cheap Cheap

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post May 02, 2012, 10:38
by splash101

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.