Salsify/scorzonera

• 8 Replies

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
Salsify/scorzonera
« on: February 16, 2010, 20:59 »
I've been Reading about these and getting quite interested. How good are they to grow - and which is best?
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

amanda81

Re: Salsify/scorzonera
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 20:16 »
I'm quite interested myself and have bought the seeds to start a bed with both - interested in replies to this thread and hope to stay in touch with others growing what sounds like a pair of interesting veg!

boosh

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 20:51 »
This will be the first time i've tried these two veg, on the advice ot another allotment holder.
the two varietys i'm trying.

Salsify - sandwich island

scorzonera - duplex

i,ll let you know how they go  :)

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:35 »
An aquired taste. They grow pretty well in my garden, and crop well. Can't say that one type is much better than the other. I don't like them enough to try them again and I don't know where they get their 'gourmet vegetable' status from. But don't let that put you off.

SS

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:35 »
My daughter gave me a packet of scorzerona seeds for Christmas. Never grown this veg before. Variety is Geante Noire de Russe, and the diagrams on the back indicate that the seeds should be sown outside from March to July, 1.5 cm deep.

Thin plants to 5cm apart, and crop fro, August onwards (presumably not from the July sowing  :lol: )

Roots are supposed to grow 30 cm in length.

PS Are they actually different, because the packet also calls this veg Black Salsify?  :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

gillie

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 09:52 »
I guess your packet is a Seeds of Italy one.  They call salsify white salsify and indeed it has a white skin on the roots, while Scorzonera, which is from a different family, has a black one.  They taste very similar.

To be honest I have grown both but not had much success.  For me salsify forks dreadfully although I can grow a decent carrot.  I have had trouble germinating scorzonera but the year I got it going it was good.  However it is from the dandelion family and if you leave the tip of the root in, and they go down pretty deep, it will re-grow the following year.

We like eating them.  I par boil them in their skins, peel them and then brown them in butter.  I am going to try salsify in a tub (as some on this site suggest for parsnips) this year.

Cheers,

Gillie

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 11:18 »
Thanks for clearing this up for me gillie.  They don't look like Seeds of Italy packaging but at least I know why they are named as they are  :)

I also hadn't realised the relationship to dandelions but I guess it doesn't matter if a bit grows again the following year  :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 15:06 »
Some similar chatter in another thread - in case you have not seen it:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=51545.msg611958#msg611958

Torreya

• http://ashfurlongwalledkitchengarden.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 23:17 »
Isn't it strange how we all like different things? OH and I have grown both for the past 5 years and absolutely LOVE them both!! If you do leave them in the ground, they will regrow, but don't bother, because they turn too woody and tasteless!!
They're easy to cook, just peel, slice, keep in iced water or they'll go a dismal brown colour, and saute lightly in butter.
We're also trying Hamburg Parsley this year. Anyone know what it's like??

xx
Salsify & Scorzonera

Started by BazTheGardener on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 18:17
by Kristen
xx
Salsify or scorzonera

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 14:57
by arugula
xx
Salsify and Scorzonera

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 11:14
by scabs
xx
Scorzonera and Salsify

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 08, 2006, 08:56
by Aidy

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 29 queries.