Flo...the pet therapy hen :)

• 10 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Flo...the pet therapy hen :)
« on: September 21, 2011, 10:06 »
Thought you'd like to know what my wonderful ex-batt, Flo has been up to. I've recently taken a job as an Activities Co-ordinator at a nursing home, and have been trying to book pet therapy for a few weeks to no avail. So, last Friday, I took Flo in to meet everyone. She was as good as gold. Let me carry her around all 47 bedrooms, was happily stroked by all those that were able chuckling away the wholetime, she even fell asleep at one point  :lol: She wandered around the lounges, being fed various cakes that the residents have stashed away on their person. She had a lovely time. When I had to do something, or if she looked a bit hot, I put her in the secure garden and she pottered around. She was AMAZINGLY well behaved. The residents loved her, she brightened their day no end and helped with reminiscence therapy for the dementia patients (Oooh, I had chickens as a girl..they used to escape and we'd be chasing them everywhere, mom used to raise chicks next to the fire etc). I recommend anyone who has a really tame chicken, to contact residential homes, special schools etc and ask if they'd like a visit. Spread the word, chickens rule and are very theraputic to the right people xx  :D
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Flo...the pet therapy hen :)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 10:15 »
Lovely story.  :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 10:21 »
how super, what a fantastic idea especially as keeping backyard chickens was far more popular years ago so it would bring back some great memories  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:48 »
Aw what a great idea.  Patients in homes need all the stimulation they can get and the reminiscence work really helps.  I found that my mum could always recite poetry, something she never forgot.  Song lyrics too never went

I was on the south coast last week, during the heavy seas and storms, and I watched with interest as a lady gently helped a very elderly lady out of the car, helped her out onto the seafront as it was clear that this very frail old woman wanted to be in the face of the storm. It was blowing a gale and very difficult to stand up but her daughter (I assume) held her carefully and they stood there for some time.  She had no hat on and wanted to feel the full extent of the elements.  I thought it was a lovely moment and was glad I'd witnessed it  :)  As I got back into town and saw a load of young carers pushing and helping old folks into a local seaside attraction to have some fun  :) 

Maybe the residents would appreciate visits from pat dogs as well. When my mother in law was dying with cancer in the local hospital she was allowed to have her cat brought to visit her and it gave her such a lot of comfort to know the animal was being well looked after but most of all the opportunity to cuddle her beloved pet.  Keep up the good work  :)

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:08 »
People seem to just forget that the elderly had fabulous lives and still need and want life experiences, regardless of their apparent mental state. It was definately an experience to see a chicken come wandeing into their bedroom :) I've been trying to book pet therapy, but I'm still waiting to hear back (only 5 weeks so far :/) One of my gents is a published poet and can recite his work whenever you ask and can sing every song The Beatles ever sang, even though he cant do a thing for himself. Its so sad. So thats why I'm trying to think of new experiences that will relate back to their old lives and fire them up again, even if it is only for a few minutes :) Flo will defiantely be popping in to poo on the lounge carpets again sometime soon :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 11:11 »
long term memories are one of the last things to go with dementia so anything that reminds people of their childhood and youth helps tremendously. My grandad used to be a lorry driver for BRS and we took in model lorries for him to play with which he enjoyed tremendously - shame he never got to see our collection of lorries (real ones) as he would have loved a spin down the road in one.

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 14:26 »
well done flo! :wub:

as the youngest person on my road - i often get the older neighbours coming round to look at the chooks and a wander down memory lane.

they call me chookie girl and sometimes bring relatives round too!

forget youngsters and their pricey gadgets - give me a goldie oldie with memories to share any day!  8)
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

evie2

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 01:24 »
Well done Flo :D I've always said chickens should be available on prescription, much better at cheering you up than pills :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 09:48 »
True.  I loved it when the chooks would gallop up to me when I went down the garden.  I do miss them.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 09:57 »
Well done to Flo for being so entertaining and well behaved and well done you for taking the time to take her along for a visit. What a great idea!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 04:03 »
Oh that's lovely!

I read about an Australian woman who was a cerer in a nursing home and she would bring her chickens in for the residents to fuss over.  She ended up moving the whole flock to live at the home!  There was a suitable fenced garden so she moved her coop and equipment in there for everyone to enjoy.

I've just realised I need to add something to my list of "when I win the lottery."  I will establish a charitable trust that will install chickens in every suitable rest home.  We will install fences, coops, runs etc and there will be a full-time staff to visit each flock and make sure they are being looked after (and not ending up on the lunch menu!)

My father in law is in a rest home and I know he would love the sight and sound of chickens in the garden.  (He would probably love the sound of a rooster in the morning but I don't know whether that love would be shared by everyone!)

xx
Chickens as therapy

Started by rocker on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 20:11
by evie2

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 40 queries.