Veganic gardening - its that time again

• 58 Replies

Zippy

Re: Veganic gardening - its that time again
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 21:07 »
What happens to the earthworms when you dig in the green manure?  Do they not get murdered then too, or is it different in Spring?

Elcie - I will accept this in the good humour I hope it was meant  8). Some disruption is inevitable in any system but some approaches seek to treat the soil more gently than others and some people swear by it.

I don't dig green manure in, I either hoe it off and allow the annual roots and vegetation to rot down a few days before planting, or in the case of potatoes I smother the green manure with a deep helping of compost.

Someone is going to come along and accuse me of cruelty to manure crops next, I can feel it  :lol:

Richard A - thanks, I enjoyed your post.

Elcie

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 21:17 »
What happens to the earthworms when you dig in the green manure?  Do they not get murdered then too, or is it different in Spring?

Elcie - I will accept this in the good humour I hope it was meant  8). Some disruption is inevitable in any system but some approaches seek to treat the soil more gently than others and some people swear by it.

I don't dig green manure in, I either hoe it off and allow the annual roots and vegetation to rot down a few days before planting, or in the case of potatoes I smother the green manure with a deep helping of compost.

Someone is going to come along and accuse me of cruelty to manure crops next, I can feel it  :lol:

Definitely in good humour Zippy!  My OH has said, more than once, that if I ever plant green manure again he will not come to the plot!  It was a nightmare to dig in the one time I tried it so it is leaving the soil open to the elements for me from now on.  Usually put some compost/chicken manure on the top for the worms to take down for me.  Not a great digger myself, mostly because I am a weakling!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 21:39 »
Each to their own and their soil.

I couldn't grow carrots without opening up the soil.

I don't have access to enough compost to hill up 300 feet plus of spuds without using God's good earth.

No dig is no good for me.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 22:15 »
Would the first gardeners have invented digging if it wasn't beneficial  ;)

I think not  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 22:29 »

Prince Charles says even plants have feelings!!!   ;) ;) :D

Well somebody had to say it!!!!   ;) ;)

RichardA

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 22:40 »
It is said that the art of forcing rhubarb was invented inadvertently when someone digging nearby accidentally covered the rhubarb over one winter. certainly anyone with heavy soils or ones prone to holding water knows the advantage of a good digging and even a double digging
R

peterjf

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 23:04 »
to help save the worms  im going to rotavate a little slower and use a megaphone and shout to the worms that im coming to rotovate my plot,

i just hope i can rotovate fast enough to catch the blooming mole and chop it into 4 5 6 7 8 pieces

Zippy

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 23:49 »
My worms don't know what a spade is and of course I have names for every one of 'em!  :tongue2:

I wouldn't consider rotovating as I have a goodly number of frogs and froglets using my plot and mini pond I put in and wouldn't want to chop 'em up as they hide in the compost layer and eat the slugs.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 08:21 »
Do post some pictures of your plot zippy.  I'm sure we'd all love to see what it looks like.

Zippy

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 09:33 »
Aunt Sally - I'm not sure that beds of green manure and veggies that have come to the natural end of their usefulness would be good use of forum space, but I am willing to do so if you like  :)

Maybe next spring?

Perhaps we could all come back here in a few months time and share our snaps?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2009, 09:51 »
Are you telling me that you've never taken any pictures of your plot during the growing season  :ohmy:  You must be the only person here not to have  ::)

Zippy

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2009, 10:43 »
I must admit I haven't taken that many - I'll dig some out for you.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 11:11 »
I must admit I haven't taken that many - I'll dig some out for you.

Good lad,  mind yer back though  ;)

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2009, 12:13 »
Zippy:

BRILLIANT! FANTASTIC!

Exactly what forums are for, to promote discussion and compare alternative suggestions..who the mad ones are is entirely dependent on ones own perspective!

Just read the whole thread and loved it....and it made me think too!!

Phill

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2009, 16:52 »
I'm a big fan of green manures, but they do need digging in once they've grown. I also dig in all the annual weeds by turning them over and chopping a bit, it's a lot quicker and easier than pulling them all out individually and it makes compost 'in situ'. Worms are used to being dug and chopped up and apparently (so I was led to believe) have evolved to be able to survive it, so long as they aren't chopped into too many pieces. Someone will now probably tell me this is a myth, QI-style  ;)
Rachael

xx
First time I have done this in 40 years of gardening............

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 19:14
by Yorkie
xx
Veganic or Organic - pros and cons?

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 08:17
by Zippy
xx
Lottie Time Vs Work Time

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 07:49
by crowndale
xx
My First Day Of Gardening

Started by Tykelad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 19:56
by Tykelad

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 35 queries.