Veg protectors

• 6 Replies

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
Veg protectors
« on: May 19, 2009, 12:25 »
Hi guys

Im new to growing veg and when i put in my cabbage, broc, brussels and coli, a old fella on the next plot came and put off cuts of drain pipe round them all and said to leave them on to protect the plants and encourage them to grow as they would grow up the tube to wards the light quicker.

I just wondered how long should I leave the drain pipes around the plants and is the advice i was given correct?  They are now starting to appear over the tubes and the tubes are about 4-5 inches

oldbean

• Experienced Member
Re: Veg protectors
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:51 »
I would let them grow naturally. By putting pipes around them, you cut down the light, and so it will be the same as growing on a windowsill, soft and leggy.

Edit -  But I'm much further south.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 14:07 by oldbean »

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 13:38 »
I take it the old fella has pipes around his cabbages. 

You're in the North East so I imagine that it's still a little colder and windier up there, than in my plot near the Thames, at this time of year. 

I guess the pipes will protect your plants from a bit of slug damage and the worst of the cold wind and is likely to encourage your plants to grow quicker in cooler climes.  Whether it makes your plants soft and leggy is s bit unclear as the plants are still outside in a colder apart of the country so there's probably a trade off there. 

You never know, you may have just inherited a cracking bit of North East country lore.  I doubt it though as plastic drainpipes are quite a modern invention.  Remember to check the inside of the pipes for bugs and slugs on a regular basis and ask your neighbour when to take off your pipes.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 13:41 »
not seen pipe being used up here but plastic pop bottles cut to size and they are clear so let the light though.. not tried them myself as I completely cover mine in fleece and use slug pellets

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 13:59 »
Hi.. maybe I can answer that one... the 'collars' you are talking about are used to protect your brassica's while they are in the transition to being planted outside. The solid barrier of the pipe helsps to stop the wind rocking the plant, which in turn helps encourage a better root system. It tends to be a well used 'tool' around the plots of the North East, my brothers and Dad have used these for many years but not sure if they are used anywhere else.  :D

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 14:46 »
thanks, so should i really take them off afrter a couple of weeks?

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 14:57 »
You will need to take them off before the leaves get too big to fold over and allow removal.

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 36 queries.