Re: Mantis Tiller
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 18:16 »
Do you mean " mantis tiller"??
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 18:55 by New shoot »

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 18:44 »
If you do refer to Mantis then yes I use one and find it very useful.  After the winter digging it works well with rough ground but not so well if the ground is really compacted i.e clay soil that has set hard.  Also it would clog if the ground is very wet/muddy - hopefully I'll be able to use it within a few months!!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 18:55 by New shoot »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 18:57 »
I think mdjlucan does mean the Mantis tiller, so I've just changed the thread title so it comes up in future searches anyine else does  :)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 19:02 »
we haven't used a mantis, though we did invest in a tiller from Homebase last season. Plotfather loves it for breaking down clods of soil to a finer tilth. again, not on compacted soil.

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 20:13 »
I've had a Mantis tiller for a couple of years now, and it saves me such a lot of time.  Unless you have very fine, light soil, it is best to dig it over first, but then the Mantis whips through it in no time and soon produces a lovely fine tilth for sowing.  It doesn't like being used on very wet soil as the tines tend to clog. It's great for turning over the soil between rows of plants during the growing season too. I certainly wouldn't be without mine. It tills the soil down to a depth of about eight inches or so, depending on the type of soil you have. Mine is quite heavy, but not solid clay.

mrsbean

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 23:58 »
Agree with last reply, great for getting rows ready for potatoes. Have not had to replace any parts yet, had a few years now.

ptarmigan

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 08:20 »
I found it difficult to use on heavy clay.

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 11:44 »
I used to own a Mantis.  It's great on soil already dug over or loose soil.  If you're trying it on heavy clay it struggles.  Dry compacted soil it will hardly touch and it will just bounce off the surface, so if you're thinking of using it to till over a new plot that is heavy clay or compacted it's very unlikely it will do it.  I sold mine as I moved to no dig raised beds, for me personally I think the Mantis was a waste of money.
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 12:18 »
I love mine and really wish I had got one years ago. Mind you I am on quite sandy soil. Fantastic for turning over a bed ready for planting. Highly recommend one
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Eblana

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 14:30 »
I wouldn't be without mine, I rough dig my beds in winter and leave the frost to get them, then run the mantis over them in the spring to get a nice tilth on them.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 16:23 »
Marvellous machine!

We garden from 8' x 4' beds, with grass paths. I can easily manoeuvre the machine in any direction, and after a final rake-over, the bed is well down to a fine tilth, ready for sowing/planting.

It's also reasonably light, so it suits an ageing Growster's frame...

Correct points above about clogging though, the tines can get very full and hoiking out long grass or straw (from manure) can get a bit tiresome!

Headgardener22

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 09:30 »
I have one and agree with ptarmigan. The tiller only works on my heavy soil when the condition is just perfect. Too dry and it can't break up the lumps, too wet and it just bounces on the surface. Mind you I've had it 12 years and use it most years.

Its also good for breaking up the contents of the compost heap and leaf baskets.

m1ckz

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 18:29 »
all the time    brill

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 18:45 »
I've posted in my diary many times about the Mantis - truly excellent machine. On heavy soil I used my Merry Tiller to go over first and then used the Mantis for a fine tilth.

It's great for the raised beds as you can lift it easily.

It's not so hot on very stony ground but  I think you'll find you can buy one and if you don't get on with it, get a refund on return within 90 days (check their site)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
New Mantis Tiller

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2017, 12:19
by chillimummy
xx
mantis

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 10:37
by Kristen
xx
How do I break soil down to a fine tilth? Mantis?

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 07:50
by hunlom
xx
tiller

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 09:05
by arugula

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 29 queries.