Veg to plant around daffodils?

• 6 Replies

jsgreen89

Veg to plant around daffodils?
« on: April 29, 2014, 22:35 »
Planted some daffodils last autumn and they came up nicely. However the bed is in a prime spot in our small garden. They are quite spaced out so I'd love to plant some vegetables in the space.

Any recs for what would work? Could I risk something larger like a courgette?? Or stick with sowing a few carrots / root vegetables?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:50 by jsgreen89 »

maloneranger

• Experienced Member
Re: Veg to around daffodils?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 00:31 »
You don't say how spaced out they are.

However, why don't you lift the daffs now, in the green, and plant them closer together in one [?corner] spot.

That way you can use the rest of your bed for new planting, now.

jsgreen89

Re: Veg to around daffodils?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:52 »

However, why don't you lift the daffs now, in the green, and plant them closer together in one [?corner] spot.

Apologies. They were spaced as per planting advice, which I think is about 8-10" apart? Moving them would be tricky, as we really are fairly short of space!

Goosegirl

Re: Veg to plant around daffodils?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 11:53 »
As their leaves die off they will flop all over and cover the soil. What you could do is sow some French / Runner beans and brassicas, but surround them with a plastic milk carton with the ends cut off so the leaves don't bother them as they grow - but remove when the plants grow above the top. Also sow some courgettes in pots so, when the daff leaves are looking dead (about mid-summer?) remove their leaves and plant them in the spaces. You could then sow some late carrots as well.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jsgreen89

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 13:01 »
As their leaves die off they will flop all over and cover the soil. What you could do is sow some French / Runner beans and brassicas, but surround them with a plastic milk carton with the ends cut off so the leaves don't bother them as they grow - but remove when the plants grow above the top. Also sow some courgettes in pots so, when the daff leaves are looking dead (about mid-summer?) remove their leaves and plant them in the spaces. You could then sow some late carrots as well.

Yeah a courgette was one idea, but would the roots be disruptive to the daffs at all?

maloneranger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 13:09 »

Apologies. They were spaced as per planting advice, which I think is about 8-10" apart? Moving them would be tricky, as we really are fairly short of space!

It may be the advice, but I plant daffs much closer than that - about 3.5 in apart.

My idea was to move them out of the way, and it looks as if you could do that.

If you leave them and plant over them or between them, then you may have problems digging the soil without disturbing or damaging the daffs. 

Nobbie

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 13:59 »

Yeah a courgette was one idea, but would the roots be disruptive to the daffs at all?

No, by the time the courgettes get going, the daffs will be dormant.

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
xx
what can i plant out now?

Started by steptoe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 23:36
by viettaclark
xx
What can i plant now.....

Started by cindieloo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 16:40
by cindieloo

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 35 queries.