wind

• 22 Replies

Salmo

Re: wind
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 10:06 »
well our plot has grown by a inch height wise that is.. The wind has blown the peat soil from the fens what they call the ''fen blow '' on the local radio they was saying it was the worse for 50 years and we have a extra inch of soil now .It even got into all the little gaps in the shed so now the inside of our  shed is covered in black dust aswell could just about see the grass on my path ..When we drove down the road past our allotment this morning couldent see the plot for dust predicted rain and less wind for tonight so thats gonna be good news ..

I worked across the peat fens between you and Ramsey for many years. Until you have witnessed a fen blow in all its glory you cannot imagine it. These fens have 10 foot of pure peat in some areas, wonderful productive agricultural land for top quality carrots, onions and potatoes.

When the crops are just sown and the surface soil is fine and dry a strong wind will take it into the air. Any tiny seedlings are sand blasted by grit moving across the surface.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22201168
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNCXht6D_bs
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:18 by Salmo »

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 10:34 »
I was going to say it sounds like good free mulch, but I suppose it could just as easily blow away again.

Best dig it in quick ;)

Salmo

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 15:13 »
I was going to say it sounds like good free mulch, but I suppose it could just as easily blow away again.

Best dig it in quick ;)

One big problem is that as well as destroying crops the soil fills up the drains. Much of this area is near or below sea level so all water has to be pumped out to the Wash and so it is essential to dig them out quickly just in case there is heavy rain.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 15:51 »
I've never heard about those before  :ohmy: even more costs for the farmers if they have to reseed  :(

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 16:02 »
One big problem is that as well as destroying crops the soil fills up the drains. Much of this area is near or below sea level so all water has to be pumped out to the Wash and so it is essential to dig them out quickly just in case there is heavy rain.

I take it, as this has come from farmland, that there will be pollution concerns too?

yaxley

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 21:38 »

Best dig it in quick ;)

Have a drain just beside my allotment it,s black now with the dust from the fen blow went to use  my watering cans today they had water in them but with all the dust it was just sludge in them ...Great soil to grow in though easy to dig as well ...
Grow organic as nature intended

Christine

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 09:15 »
Trouble is that we have a forecast for high gusts from now till Wednesday evening. Gusts of 24-45 miles an hour. Growing weather not.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 09:26 »
All the snow and cold couldn't flatten my broad beans, but the wind has managed it. And they were staked up.

xx
wind

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 18:08
by Aunt Sally
xx
Wind!

Started by Nest on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 23:07
by simonwatson
xx
It's an ill wind..

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 26, 2013, 18:59
by azubah
xx
Wind!

Started by Grandmasue on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 29, 2015, 13:31
by Snoop

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 40 queries.