veg trough question

• 16 Replies

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
veg trough question
« on: March 13, 2013, 13:05 »
Was wondering if anyone uses veg troughs and how successful they are when it comes to growing veg. Also any recommendations in size for me a beginner and any advice where to buy that isnt overly expensive??

Paul Plots

Re: veg trough question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 15:09 »
What makes you consider using them?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Chrysalis

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 16:39 »
What sort of trough do you mean? One that's on legs, like a food trough for animals?

We use those polypropolene bags for planting most of our stuff. We have various depths from 10cm -50cm deep and various lengths, too, from 30cm, to 1m long.  we can grow most things, but don't bother with onions and parsnips in them.  Those go into a proper bed!
They're great for carrots, beans, peas, courgettes, garlic, chard, spinach, new potatoes and even a cherry tree.  we can also use them for all year round growing... You can plant closer together as the soil is loose and the roots go down and not outwards more than in normal beds.  Not so good for brassicas which need firm soil.

I like the look of the troughs on legs, but they need watering alot...and are pricey.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 16:49 »
I grow a few things at home in tubs and I've bought some nice (and cheap) jute planting bags   this year. You do have to fill them with compost or soil but I quite like growing in this way.

Depends on the price of the tub/planter/trough :)

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 16:55 »
I think the OP possibly means something like this:

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/maxi-manger-trough-planter-pid8092.html

In which case, should I be inclined to use ine, I'd make my own out of an old pallet and line it with a few compost bags for less than they charge for delivery.

allot2learn

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 23:07 »
I have two old baths which I recovered when neighbours were having bathrooms renovated.
Just over two feet high, and take three 60ltr bags of MP compost. A bit of horticultural sand to add drainage and they're great for carrots and parsnips.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 23:22 »
I was looking at the sort off the ground like the one on the link pdblake posted. I dont actualy have a lottie so I want something for in the garden but the higher the better to stop the dogs digging  ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 00:47 »
I saw some really posh ones advertised in a gardening mag but they were expensive - most probably designed for people with difficulties bending and working at ground level.

Size? The bigger the better surface area but they shouldn't need to be overly deep if you want to grow salad crops.

Although maybe not so pretty old baths (as someone suggested) are an economical alternative to a ready made structure.

You could probably grow some crops in wall baskets and deep hanging baskets too.

alimilly

• Life and Love of the Millys
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 08:39 »
We have one of the troughs at home,  larger than the one on the link.  Hubby is disabled and this is a perfect height to tend from his wheelchair.  We have had it a couple of years now and it looks good in the garden,  holds water well and has been really useful.

Mostly hubby grows salad and herbs for quick and easy access at home.

agapanthus

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 13:24 »
If you are a bit handy you could try making one and using recycled timber will keep the cost well down........

Muntjac made this for me.....

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 13:57 »
Like it. Is there any benefit to the shape or would a square, rectangular one do the same job? It would also be easier to make. I do do DIY (especially with old pallets, don't we all?) but I'm more of an "attack it with a saw and smack some nails" in kind of person.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 14:47 »
Thats is exactly the kind of thing I want it looks great I dont think I could make one though  :wub:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 15:45 »
If it's function rather than appearance you want it would be quite easy to make one from old pallets - for the sake of simplicity it would have to square rather than triangular in cross section but it's really only a matter of deciding which bits to cut out of which pallet to leave what you want with the minimum of effort, although I would recommend using screws rather than banging more nails in to hold it all together.
I think making even the monogram on Agapanthus' planter would be beyond me (how sweet!  :wub:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

agapanthus

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 17:12 »
Like it. Is there any benefit to the shape or would a square, rectangular one do the same job? It would also be easier to make. I do do DIY (especially with old pallets, don't we all?) but I'm more of an "attack it with a saw and smack some nails" in kind of person.

No benefit at all....I just liked the shape :)

"I'm more of an "attack it with a saw and smack some nails" in kind of person".

So is Munty!!!!  :lol: :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 21:26 »
If you are a bit handy you could try making one and using recycled timber will keep the cost well down........

Muntjac made this for me.....

That is very similar to the posh job I saw advertised.... only the commercially produced one made me laugh when I saw the price!!  :lol:

Lovely job Munty!! (Can I put in an order? My 97 yr old father would love one  ;) )

xx
sort of trough to put flowers in

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 23, 2007, 09:45
by wellingtons
xx
Mushrooms in onion trough + Patio varities

Started by GreyScales on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2014, 22:25
by GreyScales
xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen
xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 37 queries.