Veg that doesn't need crop rotating?

• 6 Replies

Ghost

Veg that doesn't need crop rotating?
« on: January 01, 2013, 11:00 »
Hi

I have space in my garden that doesn't really fit in with my crop rotation. I understand that everything benefits from crop rotation but what can grow adequately in the same space year after year? I know Jerusalem artichokes doesn't need rotating.

Thanks

LilacSandy

Re: Veg that doesn't need crop rotating?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:16 »
How about some permanent planting of soft fruit bushes or rhubarb.  Lettuce will fit in anywhere, Squashes are also good.  Some gardeners grow runner beans in the same trench every year.  You should avoid the onion, potato family, including tomatoes, also most brassicas as disease can build up quickly with these crops.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:14 »
May not be answering the right question, but in case food for thought:

I have 4 equal sized beds for my main crop rotation area.  It does not include Potatoes, and the space I need for Brassicas is larger than the other three beds in the rotation.

I also need a large area for Sweetcorn, and for cutflowers (Sweetpeas and Gladioli). I also have a bed for Strawberries which gets moved once in a while (rather than taking runners each year, as I should)

My solution is to have two areas of the veg patch - the main 4-year rotation and another area that is for Potatoes, Sweetcorn, Overspill Brassicas and Cut flowers.  That gets it own "sort of" rotation (I'm strict about Spuds and Brassicas, less so about the other "crops")

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:41 »
Things like sweetcorn courgettes and squashes/pumpkins, although heavy feeders don't seem to have any specific diseases - so as long as the soil can be well fed, you should be ok not rotating them :)

Beans and peas can also be grown in the same place for a couple of years, I find - although not indefinitely like some of the old boys do  ::)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 13:01 by mumofstig »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 13:00 »
As LilacSandy mentioned, many of the bushy soft fruits are semi-permanent, as is asparagus if you want to try that.

I don't have a white rot problem (alliums) and don't grow brassicas (no space, wrong soil) so I really only concern myself with rotating where the spuds go - everything else is just slotted in where I can, rotating them if at all possible.

I do grow runner beans in the same place under a fixed Muntry frame - I do my best to avoid problems by digging a new trench every year, chucking the soil a couple of feet away, filling with compost and veg scraps, then covering with the "new" soil nearest the trench. No problems so far, in fact 2012 was the best yet for some reason.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yana

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 23:20 »
I've read this thread with great interest as I have just been allocated a further half a plot (5 rods what ever that is) and was wanting to grow winter and summer squash on it for the first year whilst  I get myself organised. And then maybe use it each year for squash. Would that be OK?
It already has raspberries and an old looking strawberry bed so was going to cover it with black plastic to kill off the weeds and gradually dig it over incorporating well rotted manure for the squash later in the year.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 23:28 »
Sounds good to me, try not to put the squash in exactly the same place each year -  you might have to move your weed control fabric about a bit, if you carry on using it each year ;)

xx
rotating leek bed

Started by georget on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 21:15
by Yana
xx
Rotating Butternut Squash

Started by boldondig on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2012, 21:31
by syks grower
xx
Confused - (doesn't take much LOL!)

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 20:45
by Missy1970
xx
My soil doesn't like water...

Started by AKB92 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 07, 2018, 16:04
by AKB92

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 35 queries.