Eggbound?

• 5 Replies

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
Eggbound?
« on: June 24, 2012, 18:12 »
My Coucou Marans is off colour. She hasn't laid an egg since Thursday and this morning there was some membrane hanging out of her vent. She is still eating and drinking and her eyes are bright, her comb and wattles are the normal colour, but she seems quiet. We noticed that her vent is pulsing, so have just had her sitting in a bowl full of warm water and then dried her with the hair dryer on warm, which she seemed to enjoy. She even lifted up her wings so we could direct the warm air underneath them. She's back with the others at the moment, but should we bring her inside tonight?
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Eggbound?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 18:22 »
if she is egg bound then she should stay in her warm bath for at least 30 minutes which often relaxes  the muscles enough to pass the egg.
I would leave her with the other hens over night so that she doesn't get stressed out and tense her muscles even more.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 18:49 »
Thanks. She has gone back into the coop, so we're hoping she might pass the egg.

Prod

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 17:51 »
My ancona hasnt laid for 3 days and feeling near her vent it feels hard/lumpy  unlike when I felt th eother girls.  I sat her in a bucket of warm water (sat on the field for 30mins :wub:)  and then dried her off with a hair dryer which she seemed to enjoy.  I took her back to the field and she sat on my knee for a while eating corn from my hand  so she seemed ok.  If it works  when should she lay ?  I ll leave her in the coop with the others overnite....

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 18:59 »
Came home from work and our poorly coucou Marans, Margot, was standing in the corner of the garden, eyes closed looking very sorry for herself. My daughter said she had been like that most of the day, hardly moved, so we took her to the vet. 30 minutes (and £31  :ohmy: ) later she has had an antibiotic injection and a course to have in her water for the next 7 days. The vet can't feel any eggs lurking, but given that she has a very warm undercarriage and has watery poo he is treating for bacterial enteritis. She's got to be segregated from the other three - OH has adapted the broody coop with a temporary base and a roosting bar - and she'll go in the conservatory overnight where it's quiet and she's away from inquisitive cats. She's perked up a bit already and has just had her favourite treat, a tiny cube of cheese. Just means we can't eat any eggs from her for 28 days after she finishes the Baytril  :(. Fingers crossed she'll be ok!  :unsure:

Prod

Re: Eggbound?Still
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 09:31 »
My ancona hasnt laid since thursday  I put her in a bath of warm water for 30mins last nite (dried her withhair dryer)  & put her back withthe others.  This morning she seems OK , eating etc, but she is walking 'low' and seems to be thrusting her vent.   Is there anything else I can do?  Would a dose of oil help ??  cheers
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 20:33 by Prod »

xx
Eggbound???

Started by foggle007 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 14:59
by poultrygeist
xx
eggbound??????

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 13:17
by kimT
xx
Eggbound?

Started by jennym on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 14:00
by Sassy
xx
Eggbound?

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 13:05
by thechicken

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 39 queries.