red mite

• 14 Replies

Jo57

• Experienced Member
red mite
« on: July 24, 2014, 09:10 »
Shockingly quick infestation in my plastic coop. Had not noticed at all but very obvious today. Lost 3 small hens, others seem ok. In process of burning bedding, taking house apart and blitzing the horrible little things. My coop is not in a run. What should I do on the ground around the coop and how far out treat? This is my first major chicken disaster

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
Re: red mite
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 11:26 »
Once you've sorted your coop, I'd dust the birds with DE, just to make sure there's none hanging on, (as much as they only come out when the birds are roosting), and I'd sprinkle generously around on the ground.  I have a roofed run, and sprinkle DE onto the floor, so the birds get a free treatment when dust bathing. Good luck.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 07:35 »
I have deepcleaned and treated coop and ground around and all hens. Have used diatom and poultry shield and mite spray. Mite recovery solution in water. (not sure if last is over the top but I felt so bad) I have always used diatom and thought in a plastic coop we were safe. I am still finding a few and they crawl onto my boots (and me if I'm not careful) There is not an infestation now and hopefully if I keep up this rigorous regime I will be rid of them in the end. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:15 »
Plastic coops will get redmites however the beauty of plastic is they are easier to see the redmites and eradicate them. The coops simply need taking apart and washing to remove them, however the ground is where they can live without feeding for a couple of months, so keep a close eye on any re-appearing.
Staffies are softer than you think.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 20:36 »
can you rig something up to deter wild birds which will bring it in, if not wash the coop monthly

barley

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 22:18 »
posted this before

I use poultry shield - I spray every 2 weeks religiously and we have never had them again , you can bulk buy it online

I currently have 15 5litre bottles in my shed , will keep me going for years LOL

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 08:39 »
I have completely cleaned coop for second time using poultry shield and diatrom and a red mite spray for all the joins all well. Have greased and diatromed ends of perches and birds treated too. No more deaths thank goodness. Only 6 in house at night as 3 sleep in trees. Can't keep wild birds out. Last night I did the tissue along perch test in the dark (just after 10) and there was red on the tissue so the little b*****s are still getting in although no sign in morning. They are on ground though as crawl onto my boots (if they are redmite) even through all the diatrom and sanitiser. Can I treat ground? Today I think one more complete clean out and maybe add jeyes into the mix. Good job scholl is out. It is becoming a full time job

barley

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 21:28 »
I find poultry shield needs several applications initially to get on top of the infestation but regular use after stops it recurring

it works by breaking down the protective layer on the mite , so if you have fresh ones hatching daily you need to keep spraying

might be worth spraying at dusk if possible as that's when they come out to feed

remove chooks to a box first though  ;)

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 11:58 »
Have just taken our coup apart (6 x 4 shed modified ) the little b***** have arrived,  did not 'twig' why a couple of our birds were not 'going to bed' over the last couple of nights. Now I know. May also explain a dip in egg yield.

Who does the best deal on Poultry shield and the other treatments mentioned.  I do have a more heavy duty treatment which is out of date by about a year and requires certain measures when using which I am reluctant to use.

If you take a coup 'out of use' away from the hens, will the mites eventually disappear.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 16:30 »
redmite can live on the ground for many months without feeding so unless you can treat the ground with something then you will need to move your coop. Just taking a coop out of commission for a while may not be enough - a wild bird could get near it and then transport the mites elsewhere even to your birds new area and home.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 08:05 »
so is DE enough to treat the ground? It loses its effect if gets wet so how long should we keep renewing on the ground. The house itself is well dusted.

barley

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 18:19 »

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 03:41 »
Hello hows it going with the killing of mites

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 13:07 »
I have not seen any for last week at all. I have wiped tissue along the perches in dark and no blood and even none crawling onto boots. I have changed bedding to dust extracted shavings as guy in scats said the miscanthus I was using hid mites in the hollow pieces. I am staying vigilant though. It has apparently been a terrible year for them (or us)

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 04:51 »
Good to hear that :)

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
red mite

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 13:12
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 41 queries.