A bit of hen psychology needed here please.

• 7 Replies

Waldhorn

A bit of hen psychology needed here please.
« on: April 03, 2012, 14:24 »
Hello a newbie from south lincs here.  I have a hen from a flock of 10 rescued from the battery system, the runt of the group I think. She was bullied and hurt by others and so now have separated her from the rest. We have her in a separate area and she eats and sleeps alone. The trouble is she now accepts this situation as her way of life, and we want her to be able to rejoin the group before she forgets that she's a hen.  Any ideas how to go about this will be greatly appreciated, thanks?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: A bit of hen psychology needed here please.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 14:40 »
Hi and welcome.
Sadly you will always get one that is at the bottom of the pack and she is it. Some hens are happiest on their own just looking on but never joining in and this may be the case for her.
To get her re-introduced if this is what you really want to do then you could try placing one of the less aggressive ex batts in with her for a week or so. Make sure they can all see each other but not get to touch. then when they have formed a bond you could try introducing them back in with the others or even try adding another one or two.
The sorting out of the pecking order can take several weeks and if you think about their previous life you will realise why ex-batts can be quite aggressive to each other - they have had to fight for food, water and space.
When you do re-introduce her make sure you have loads of feeders, drinkers and hiding places also plenty of treats (if you scatter corn they can't guard all of it can they  ;). If they are in a fixed run have plenty of things to avoid boredom setting in  :).
Where abouts in South Lincolnshire are you?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 14:41 »
Is she in sight of the others?

I'm guessing you will just need to bite the bullet and re-introduce her, I usaully wait till they are all settled down at night and introduce her whilst they are asleep but even then I'm afraid she will probably have to go through the usual bickering and pecking like normal.

Waldhorn

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 17:09 »
Thanks very much for replying so soon, great to know all those out there keeping an eye open!  Im only just in Lincs, about 100meters from the west Norfolk border, near Sutton Bridge.  Your reply is of great help too as I know that introducing only 1 to 17others could be a reciepe for carnage.

On a different subject, I was interested to read about bumblefoot as I had never heard of it.  Last year we had one oldish hen which developed such a growth on the side of her leg which grew to a length of about 6cm very quickly.  She always seemed unfazed by it as her general health was good, having said that she died a few months later.  I have photos of this growth if it might help the forum?

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 20:38 »
That would be very interesting.  Thanks  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 20:42 »
Thanks very much for replying so soon, great to know all those out there keeping an eye open!  Im only just in Lincs, about 100meters from the west Norfolk border, near Sutton Bridge. 

not too far from me - I'm about 10 miles north of Spalding  :).

and yes a photo of bumble foot could be useful thanks

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:10 »
.  Your reply is of great help too as I know that introducing only 1 to 17others could be a reciepe for carnage.

rather interestingly maybe slightly better because the larger nature of the flock means the dynamics of the group arent changed as much as say introducing 1 bird to 3 or 2 birds to 3 birds etc.

From what i have been told the worst  culprits of pecking etc when introducing new birds espicially younger ones tends to be the birds towards the bottom of the pecking order rather than the dominant bird, as they use the oppurtunity to move up the ladder a bit. This certainly seems to be what i have observed when we have added to our small group, the dominant hen after a peck or two just lets it be, whilst the bird at the bottom will really continue to harrass the newcomers

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 21:28 »
Kenilworth is spot on. We had two Welsummers which came as chicks and were bottom of the pecking order (despite their size). When we introduced four more birds they made very effort to be aggressive and assert themselves. Really obvious behaviour from a human viewpoint.
We didn't seperate the newcomers but gave them plenty of space to keep away from the original group so there were only one or two actual confrontations. Little by little they joined in and even the most shy now perches with the others. It has taken about 15 weeks but they now behave as one group. HTH

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
help needed

Started by Bilbo67 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 22:10
by Bilbo67
xx
Help Needed Please

Started by SMIFFY on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 09:13
by SMIFFY
xx
Help needed

Started by arrowni on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 18:00
by arrowni

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 39 queries.