large perennials for containers

• 5 Replies

andyf75

• Experienced Member
large perennials for containers
« on: August 14, 2014, 10:04 »
Hi all,
We have a completely paved drive in front of our house with no borders so I would like to introduce some greenery in pots. Its south facing so gets a lot of sun. Looking for perennials that will get to a large size but be happy in pots. Don't have much to spend so preferably something I can buy small that will grow quickly.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Goosegirl

Re: large perennials for containers
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 11:15 »
How about hydrangea, Escallonia, Euonymus, a non-invasive bamboo and conifers?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:30 »
hydrangea definitely would like, not keen on conifers but will check the others out thanks! quite like the idea of bamboo as well. In fact I have some in the garden not sure what kind but I might dig them up for a pot.

bendipa

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 21:24 »
Personally I wouldn't use bamboo in a pot. It's not the nicest looking plant on its own at the best of times, and is best used in conjunction with other plants in a bed. If you want a specimen plant for a large pot why not try one of the ornamental grasses, eg, Miscanthus Sinensis, Stipa tenuissima, or Hakonechloa macra Aureola. Or just one of the smaller clump-growing lavenders like Lavandula Hidcote or Munstead.

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 10:22 »
Some of the small leaved hebes grow OK in pots as does Castor Oil plant and we have been successful with Bays in pots with the added advantage of being able to use the leaves in cooking.  You could also try Box.
Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 11:24 »
My mums front garden is just a south facing small concrete area and she gardens entirely in pots.  She has had great success with everything she has tried in them.  She has Roses, Camelias, Dahlias, Astrantia, Erysium, Iris's, Rudebeckia, Hellianium, Crocosmia, perennial geraniums, Alchemilla Mollis to name but a few and every type of bulb you can think of from Daffs, tulips in spring/early summer through to Lillies in the late summer and Narine's in the Autumn.  She lives on the sea front here and the tourists are always stopping to take photos.  Most of what she has she bought cheaply as very small plants at car boot sales etc. that way it isn't a big loss if they don't work out.  She uses a soil based compost in the pots and feeds/waters them all regularly.  Vine Weevle can be an issue.

xx
large plants for containers

Started by andyf75 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2016, 17:16
by andyf75
xx
perennials should i cut them back

Started by ricky on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post December 15, 2012, 17:12
by Yorkie
xx
Should I plant out perennials now?

Started by SusieB on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 10:03
by sunshineband
xx
Over wintering perennials

Started by allotmentann on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post September 09, 2012, 08:21
by allotmentann

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 38 queries.