Amazon Prime Scam Warning

• 8 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Amazon Prime Scam Warning
« on: November 18, 2019, 15:44 »
I've had 2 phone calls today, different numbers, with different American accents but telling me that my Amazon prime payment is about to be deducted. If you've already cancelled, or want to cancel now, please press 1.
Don't be fooled it's a scam.
If you press 1 you are immediately switched to a higher call charge and as if that isn't bad enough if you're silly enough to tell them your bank details so they can cancel it - you can guess what happens next can't you  >:(

Be careful folks..

mrs bouquet

Re: Amazon Prime Scam Warning
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 17:21 »
Thanks for the warning - a friend has had them on to her as well. :mad:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 18:04 »
Amazon have enough Prime scams of their own, without needing any more!

Twice I've clicked an innocent box, not easily recognisable to the naked eye, and been 'congratulated' for joining Prime!

We just don't need Prime for any reason!

(Just for the record, we buy a lot of home-wine kits and ingredients etc, and the firm we use is quicker than Amazon by several hours, and they're only a small family business in Farnborough, Hants! As we don't advertise here, anyone can ask me for their name via PM, and I'll gladly oblige! They're a great little firm)!

But thanks Mum, for the tip off - as I've just won the Nigerian Lottery twice, we're entitled to a little excessive spendery, so you're all invited, when the forty-eight million splonders reaches our account!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 21:50 »
Yep, I have that problem too apparently. I also have a problem with my internet....Oh and money keeps being taken from my mastercard. Certainly need your wits about you!!!
My REAL problem is ...at least 10 scam emails every day. I don't know what the solution is...any ideas?

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 08:42 »
once again thanks for that info Mum we have already been called by these scammers I hardly ever buy anything online I prefer to support  local shops  I think we get our share of these scam callers that swiftly get there comeuppance it took me a lifetime to earn my savings without giving it away to these scammers

also cold callers get the cold shoulder and are asked to close the gate when they leave or words to that effect :lol:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 09:16 »
I suppose one answer would be not to use a computer -    Its a dodgy old world, isn't it.   Mrs Bouquet

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 12:15 »
I have a "Call Guardian" type phone so I receive no cold calls at all.

Cold calls go through to an anouncment system so that you can decide if you want to answer them or not.  Mostly they ring off rather that wait to go through the anouncment system.  Only calls from my contacts list get put through directly.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 16:27 »
I have the same idea but with Sky.    People have to tell her who they are, then she tells me, then I can reject, accept or add to my personal list so they can get straight through.     I don't pay any extra for it.  Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 17:01 »
Aunt and Mrs B, we have the same, and despite the annoyance of someone who we miss out on, it works pretty well!

At least it stopped all the PPI scammers when they were in their heyday!

Just for the record, several chums, and me as well, have had a strange email from someone claiming that they know my password, and will send all sorts of 'page 3' stuff to contacts! Just ignore them, even if they have the password, which in my case was for an innocent website (I try and keep PWs different), and don't even bother to open the message, and definitely don't click on anything which looks suspicious, because it probably is!

The banks are very touchy about all this at the moment and are making even more fences to jump over, which is good news, if you play by the rules!

xx
Amazon Prime scam

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

28 Replies
Last post July 24, 2020, 11:05
by Aunt Sally
xx
The pros and cons of Amazon Prime.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post July 19, 2020, 09:50
by Blackpool rocket
xx
Amazon scam

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post January 14, 2021, 10:29
by jezza
xx
Another new prime minister

Started by GraciesGran on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2022, 13:38
by GraciesGran

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 48 queries.