Hard soil

• 7 Replies

annieanne49

Hard soil
« on: May 24, 2016, 09:29 »
Hi
Normally just read posts but I have taken on new allotment nearer to home. I already have an allotment 2 miles away but can only get there by bike or bus.
Anyway went to my new allotment day after it had rained with the intention of raking over previously back saver spade dug soil ( very kindly lent by plot neighbour) and the soil was rock hard (like boulders). Was wondering if any of you nice people have got any suggestions as to what I could do, as I have lots of plants ready to go in.
Thank you in advance Anne

Title typo edited for clarity
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:29 by JayG »

m1ckz

Re: Hard soil
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 18:20 »
as soon as it rains get down there an rake it over....will break uo nice then   dont let it dry out untill you have done it

annieanne49

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 18:43 »
Thank you will try that

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 19:42 »
You might need to knock the lumps down a bit before you rake, Annie.

If you have a big 'clouter', like a Canterbury Hoe, you'll be well on your way to getting something you can rake, but if those clods are that big (I use a backsaver spade as well), they really do need a bit of thumping first!

If you're planting out seedlings, then you don't really need the soil to be that much finer, and a few lumps won't matter, as they'll get going whatever the condition, but for sowing seeds, you'll need to get down there and give it all a bit of a seeing-to!

ptarmigan

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 20:56 »
In the long term add as much organic matter as possible, home made compost, spent mushroom compost etc.  Put on the top in the winter and the worms do the work. In the short term a cheat is to do you best to make a drill and fill with multi purpose compost to sow seeds in...

annieanne49

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 23:06 »
Thank you for your replies. Was thinking will need to dig over in autumn and put manure on it.  Will have to get a lump hammer for now lol.  Will put compost in when planting out hope that helps.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 09:20 »
A good garden fork is a good  thumper for clods, once saw on a garden programme an old gardener saying that is all you should use to break the clods down,rakes are for raking😄, very adamant about it he was. I found it to be true on my old clay allotment. Have a look at back to Eden gardening on YouTube & Beeskissed diary on here about mulching to improve soil structure & fertility, makes sense to me
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Headgardener22

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 17:12 »
If you're going to sow anything, make sure you fill the drill with compost and sow into that, my experience shows that there's little or no point in sowing anything directly into clay soil, when it dries out it forms a pan over the seeds that the seedlings struggle to get through.

Compost and more compost is the only answer :)

xx
Dealing with hard lumps of soil

Started by wendyg on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 13:44
by Dullnote
xx
earthing up potatoes when soil is hard

Started by MarkG on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 17:46
by Teen76
xx
Heavy clay soil that is rock hard!

Started by kennethc on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post May 20, 2014, 11:57
by Goosegirl
xx
whats best for clay/rock hard soil over winter

Started by newatthis on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 21:27
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 38 queries.