Hidden Gardens

• 7 Replies

mumsy

Hidden Gardens
« on: April 23, 2009, 22:35 »
Every year our village hopes villagers will open their gardens for this annual event which raises money for local charities.  We have only been in our village for two years & have declined in the past.........this year I have decided to go ahead with opening, has anyone ever had any probs with this???????????

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hidden Gardens
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 22:39 »
No direct experience but I would ask your local organisers what you are expected to do (if anything) in respect of toilets, tea & coffee / cakes, insurance, parking, taking entrance money etc.

In other words, the practical side of things.

I'd also check how much detail about what your garden offers in the way of planting, and whether you are confident you'll be able to produce this - if roses are said to be your forte, will roses be out at the time in abundance etc
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumsy

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 22:46 »
I don't think it is as complicated .... I have offered refreshments, the tickets are  available on the weekend in a tent on the village green, our village is small so everything within walking distance, have to stipulate whether suitable for the disabled ( unfortunatley I have steps)
Think I was thinking more about break ins, etc, or stuff being stolen after the event.

I only have a very humble garden, no specimens etc.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 15:25 »
Public liability insurance is an issue, although I assume the event organisers will have it!  Nonetheless, you should check, and ensure that you declare anything the forms require (things like steps or uneven paths, or poisonous fruits if children will attend may be issues that need a specific waiver).  Nothing insurmountable, but you need paper underpants in case anything goes wrong.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 16:44 »
I don't think it is as complicated .... I have offered refreshments, the tickets are  available on the weekend in a tent on the village green, our village is small so everything within walking distance, have to stipulate whether suitable for the disabled ( unfortunatley I have steps)
Think I was thinking more about break ins, etc, or stuff being stolen after the event.

I only have a very humble garden, no specimens etc.

Our village has open garden day every year, and it gets very busy.  There is not really any descriptions of features etc, just a little map showing where each garden is.  Like you our garden is quite small, but very busy, and we have steps everywhere, so we wrote a big chalk board, at the gate reading 'welcome to our garden, although its very small and humble, but please watch out for all the steps, we'd hate to see you tumble.'   Keep your curtains and blinds pulled.   Entrance fee was paid at the villahe hall, and we each knew who had paid because of the map.   
We all stand around in our gardens, be cause people wil ask you questions etc, and want to share experiences.   
It all finishes (if people want to) back at the village hall for homemade cakes and tea.

We love it its great fun and the visitors are always so nice.   Hope you do it, good luck, Mrs Bouquet

Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Parsnip

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 16:55 »
They do it in our village every year aswell...I haven't been round for a few years myself but it's very well attended, eveyone marks that their garden is open with a scarecrow.. :D

They open the village hall for toilets and refreshments....and they have little stalls all the way round.. There are some amazing gardens, particularily in the old houses with big gardens... you have no idea how lovely they are until you go in for a mooch... :D

I was always a bit miffed when some of them closed their curtains though, cos I liked to have a nose inside too...  ;) :tongue2:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 20:31 »

I was always a bit miffed when some of them closed their curtains though, cos I liked to have a nose inside too...  ;) :tongue2:
[/quote]

I am like you, I like to have a good nose as well, but sadly, you can never tell who else is scanning your home with bad intentions - its a sad world, isn't it.  But don't let it put you off, regards,  Mrs Bouquet

mumsy

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 21:18 »
Thanks everyone....ours is a truly hidden garden, no-one realises there is a garden at all!!
It is no show garden, but not small either, hoping alot will be in bloom this year.  Have to fence the chooks off from this weekend so I can get in order  :D  Loads of plants to get going.  I'm hoping all will like my my small but functional veg patch!!

xx
Water butt hidden by ivy.

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2014, 19:53
by Kleftiwallah
xx
mini water gardens

Started by slinky on General Gardening

19 Replies
Last post October 30, 2007, 11:30
by WG.

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 36 queries.