Blackcurrant cuttings?

• 3 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Blackcurrant cuttings?
« on: July 19, 2010, 20:30 »
Yes I know you're going to say this post is in the wrong place, but it's not!   ??? ???

I'm hard pruning my big blackcurrant bush and taking loads of cuttings, but can the chickens have all the other bits?  Leaves and some of the fruit?

I'm not sure if its on the 'don't give this to chickens' list!!

Thanks     Ann
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 09:31 by GrannieAnnie »

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Re: Blackcurrant cuttings?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:18 »
I gave my girls some raspberries and they went mental for them. Haven't seen any ill effects and both raspberry and blackberry fruit and leaves are medicinally beneficial to humans...

I'd be VERY surprised if the leaves and fruit of either would do any harm to chooks if given as a treat.

Of course, the stems are a bit prickly!  :D

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:35 »
I can't see anything wrong with them Ann.  Last year (when the chooks were loose in the garden) their favourite place to stay cool was under the currant canes - it meant that i didn't have any fruit up to about 2 feet lol!  none of them came to any harm... well maybe a couple of squitty bottoms when the currants were very ripe!

They are currently in the part of the garden that has the raspberry canes... consequently I haven't had much of a harvest lol!  but again, no harm to the chooks (and nor a raspberry flavoured egg in sight ;) )

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 12:39 »
Oooh thanks Scabs and Casey.  I wasn't sure.  there aren't any fruit left on the branches.  It's taken 2 days to pick them all, but Brian keeps moaning about the amount of rubbish he has to get rid of, so I thought if the chickens eat the ones I'm not going to grow on, the left over branches can go on the woodburner!!  Hence, no rubbish!!   :D :D

And humans drink blackcurrant tea as well don't they?

I'll try a few first!

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 34 queries.