Peas in Raised Bed

• 11 Replies

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
Peas in Raised Bed
« on: February 17, 2009, 14:20 »
 :unsure:  I am building some raised beds (approx 20' x 4') and need advice on which way would be best to grow peas in them, as I will need access to both sides of the plants for harvesting.

Any ideas?  ???

Thanks
:mrgreen:   GAZ   :mrgreen:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Peas in Raised Bed
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 14:33 »
can you grow them lengthways (the long side of the bed if you know what I mean!)  then place a plank down the centre of the rows to walk on that while harvesting?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 15:27 »
I would grow them in short rows because you can reach to the middle of a four foot bed without standing on it (Peapod :tongue2: :D).  Remember, you can grow much closer together in a raised bed.  The veg that is, it doesn't work with humans. :dry:
Cheese makes everything better.

scotty

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 15:48 »
as i am just starting and know NOTHING ??? on growing anything yet.....why can you plant closer together in a raised bed? i am in the middle of building mine now, all info greatly appreciated.

and yes i am already addicted to thie site :D :tongue2:

cheers
oh no, another pair of leaky wellies!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 16:04 »
This way you get less yield per plant but make up for that by planting closer together.  Yields are then increased per square yard of planting so that you end up with a crop yield the same as if you were using traditional beds.

Plant closer together and equal distances all round.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 16:08 »
I would grow them in short rows because you can reach to the middle of a four foot bed without standing on it (Peapod :tongue2: :D).  Remember, you can grow much closer together in a raised bed.  The veg that is, it doesn't work with humans. :dry:

I always forget about that Ice   :D I really shouldnt answer things I know nothing about, was answering how I will need to do it on one bed this year and its not a raised one  :nowink:

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 16:25 »
I've tried both ways in my raised beds & prefer long lengthwise rows for ordinary peas, but for those with lots of tendrils (& supposedly self supporting - which they're not !!) I prefer short rows in blocks so that they cling to each other better.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 18:20 »
with RAISED beds you get a deeper growing medium ie soil so more depth of the good stuff for roots. naturally if you just stick some planks together but don't fill up your bed you will not have the depth; i see loads of 'raised' beds that are just a few planks thrown together and no extra soil added. it's all about the DEPTH, people.

more depth, less spread for the roots so stick your plants closer. it's explained in all the books.

fekq

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 20:48 »
silly question :blush: but how tall do peas grow? should i do them a bamboo bean type frame to grow up?

i've built them a pea trench full of home made compost which i'm hoping they're going to show their appreciation of by shooting up skywards...

doesn't give a clue on the packet

thanks!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 21:04 »
different varieties grow different heights - up to about 3 - 4 foot max I'd say, perhaps only 18" for smaller varieties.

If you do a search for threads about peas you'll see some piccies by DD. - they show how he supports his peas, and he is after all the pea king!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fekq

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 21:44 »
have sowed Douce Provence - anyone had success with these?

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 00:17 »
It usually tells you on the packet how tall they grow. Naturally in a wet year they grow taller. Peas like nothing better to grow up than a row of sticks stuck in criss-cross. If they are bushy sticks it is even better.

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
What do i put in a raised bed?

Started by Feeb on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 14:16
by Feeb
xx
What to use for a raised bed?

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 07:28
by lucywil

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 38 queries.