Sick hen

• 5 Replies

CarolJ

Sick hen
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:31 »
Ruby my 3 year old isa brown stayed in nest box and wouldnt come out , and had nil by mouth for 3 days, even though it was there for her. I brought her into my kitchen, put her in a basket with lots of bedding and allowed her to pass away in the warmth as it was very cold outside. To my astonishment she was still with us the next morning, I offered her porridge oats which she devoured, then she drank lots of water and is eating now no problem, she is still living in my kitchen, and seems on the way to recovery, but she can't stand up for more than a few seconds. She seems to be cross legged, but her legs and feet look normal. She never attempts to step out of the basket, she just stands whilst I change her litter or her water, but then flops back down again. Anyone any ideas ?

Casey76

Re: Sick hen
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 15:17 »
Three years old is elderly for an ISA, so ailments like stroke may be an issue.

Also, have you had a good feel of her legs to make sure there are no fractures, or other deformities (check right up to her hips :) )

Kwakali

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 05:10 »
Hi  Carol.  I have a  five year old ex bat that sounds very similar to your girl? She started off early last week as the only one left in the shed. She was looking very strange sat back on her bum.  I brought her in and she has been in a box in the house  since then. She seems to have lost the use of her legs now and if I place her out of the box she just lays on her side and sticks her legs out, or sort of kicks them about.  I think she may have had a stroke. I am going to give her a bit longer to hope she recovers.  She is eating a little. Like yours she likes porridge oats and boiled egg and is also drinking.  I'm going to worm her again, just waiting for delivery.  Don't really want her put to sleep as I keep hoping she is going to recover. It's very odd though.   Also thought it may be some sort of bone cancer or just old age?

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 07:46 »
That's a very good age for an ex-batt! Maybe she should be put to sleep?
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Kwakali

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 18:13 »
yes I know.  Keep putting it off as she is so perky otherwise. Don't think she will get any better. She's had a good innings, as they say.  Probably d day tomorrow....  :(

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 20:51 »
Hi CarolJ - sorry to hear about Ruby. My Black Rock hybrid was only about 38 weeks. Like Ruby, she didn't come out of the coop last Monday and wasn't interested in food. I brought her indoors as it was so cold outside and tried to coax her - she didn't want to eat, rarely drunk but I kept her hydrated by dripping water from a syringe on her beak. She was very perky but never stood for more than 10 or 20 seconds before sinking and hunching down. Today I decided she couldn't carry on like this, so she's now in chicken heaven.

I tried all sorts - checked if she was egg bound, gave her a couple of warm baths and a blow dry, checked for lice and mites and gave her lots of strokes and cuddles.

Sad when you have to make that decision. Hope you're OK.
BG

xx
sick hen - not sure what to do

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 18:21
by Catsmuvva
xx
Sick hen

Started by becksi on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post July 03, 2009, 22:29
by mountainvicar
xx
Sick Hen

Started by R_A_W on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 21:35
by grinling
xx
Please help me - sick hen

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 12:32
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 37 queries.