nesting box

• 6 Replies

silverteen

nesting box
« on: November 15, 2011, 19:06 »
hi my coop has an nesting box that is divided into to by a slot in divider. the three hens are sleeping in the nesting boxes, meaning two are crammed into one part . should i remove the divider and let the three sleep together in one large compartment?.

bygrace

• Experienced Member
Re: nesting box
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 19:23 »
You don't really want them sleeping in the nesting boxes - it'll make them all messy for the eggs. I have a plank that I use to block off the nesting box at roosting time, then remove it when they're asleep so the area is clear if they want to lay in the morning before I let them out.

silverteen

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 19:55 »
the first night they slept on the bars in the coop but last night i checked in on them to see them all snuggled up in the nesting boxes. is it a big problem if they do sleep in there? they seem like they want to, one of them is half hanging out of it its so over crowded.  they dont seem to be laying at the moment, ive only had them since friday though.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 19:59 »
Best to get them out of bad habits early on otherwise you eggs and hens bottoms will be covered in poo.  Night time is when they poo loads, especially on these long nights.  They will be warmer roosting unless you have too much ventilation.

Welsome to the site.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

silverteen

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 20:10 »
thanks for the info,

first time looking after chickens, and im really enjoying it and no eggs yet. ive just gone out and put them on their perches. i turn around one had already gone back into the nesting box! at the moment i have a coop which we open in the morning and give them fresh food and water and then when we return from work we clean out the coop and put them to bed before dark, even though they usually go into the coop before i have to put them in.

i know its a common worry but i do worry about them being cold, theirs a ground frost expected tonight, i dont want them to be cold!

i may invest in a one of those 40w heat lamps that dont give off any light for reassurance.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 21:25 »
Don't give them any heat unless they are chicks.  Mine were fine at 12 weeks old in the freezing cold and snow of last January.  They will suffer if they have too much heat and won't be able to cope with the cold during the day.  They are used to being outside with their feather duvets and don't need central heating like us.   :lol:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 21:55 »
As your chickens aren't laying yet, I think you should completely block off or remove the nesting boxes until they get into the habit of sleeping on the roosting bars.  It is really a bad habit for them to sleep in the nesting boxes and will be much better for them to roost at night. 

They won't get cold roosting.  As ANHBUC said, they are wearing lovely feather duvets and are much more comfortable in the cold than in the heat.

xx
Nesting box

Started by Bren200 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2013, 13:50
by Bren200
xx
Poo-ing in Nesting Box - Help !!!

Started by henrietta5 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 09:04
by SMD66
xx
Hi and nesting box

Started by Jade23 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:09
by Jade23
xx
nesting box

Started by chickyroo on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 23:00
by chickyroo

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 38 queries.