Nesting box

• 6 Replies

Bren200

Nesting box
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:26 »
Hi everyone. Is it best to have hens in a smaller coop than spread out in a larger coop. As we was thinking of 5+ hens in a green frog large house or the solway smart hen house. Do the hens share nesting boxes as we have been told that 4 boxes will be to much.

splash101

Re: Nesting box
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:53 »
Yes they do share nest boxes. I think the ratio is 3 hens per nest box. Although dont expect them to know that.

Some will all try to lay in the same box, some will use all the boxes and some just wont use the boxes at all  >:(

With regards to the size of the coop, I think its down to your preference.
Some coops are advertised as 6-8 hens etc but in reality theres no way you would get that number of hens in comfortably.
You need to think about overheating in the summer as well as cold in the winter. They are designed quite well to cope with the cold but who wants a full on feather duvet in the summer.

Really check the sizes stated and realistically work out how many hens you could have in there comfortably.
Also look for what you think will be easier to clean, in terms of bending and reaching the nooks and crannies. I have 2 different coops, one is so easy to clean and the other not so easy.

Chicken keeping is addictive. What starts out as a couple of hens soon becomes 3, soon becomes 5 etc.
Again down to personal choice but i would go bigger than actually needed. I started with a coop that fitted the number of birds I wanted then i had to buy a bigger coop. But like i said, all personal choice.

Bren200

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 10:22 »
Ok thank you. We both are thinking of getting the solway smart hen as it is easy to clean as well as large with 4 nesting boxes. Are right about getting more, as we said 5 hens but have seen lots more we like.

splash101

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 10:50 »
i like the solway products, i wish i had seen them when i started out.

Bren200

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 10:54 »
What coops do you have & hens ?  We are liking the hybrid hens.

splash101

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 12:53 »
My coops are wooden ones i'm afraid. (I know, the shame, the shame) but i treat them each year and they are both in very good condition and havent had a problem with the dreaded mite, touch wood.

The smaller one i use for any ill birds, or if i've got a broody hen.
The bigger one is so easy to clean out which is good as i have back problems. my hubby raised it off the ground which makes it must easier.

My chickens at the moment are light sussex. My last ones were black rock types which were lovely and before that were just common brown ones. They all have there own little ways.

My hubby has said he would like to get a couple of silkies. Hold the front page  :lol: my hubby getting chicken fever? It's only taken a few years, normally he gives them a wide berth.
I've decided i would like a couple of Partridge Wyandotte bantams. I hatched some for a friend last year and was quite taken with them. They were also easy to sex early on.

I think when it comes to replacing the coops (not yet i hope) i will be looking at solway.

Bren200

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 13:50 »
We love the light Sussex hen's.  We will defo get them & rhode islands. Thank you for your help.

xx
nesting?

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 06, 2012, 23:18
by viettaclark
xx
Poo-ing in Nesting Box - Help !!!

Started by henrietta5 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 09:04
by SMD66
xx
Hi and nesting box

Started by Jade23 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:09
by Jade23
xx
nesting box

Started by chickyroo on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 23:00
by chickyroo

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 35 queries.