Inherited allotment.

• 14 Replies

Rhys

• Experienced Member
Inherited allotment.
« on: March 28, 2017, 22:10 »
Hi folks.
My dad passed away in August last year (Yorkshire day, apt really). He had two large allotments in York. Since I live in Goole and travel, I decide to give one up and keep one. They've both been in the family for generations, and the one I've kept has a greenhouse and some very nice roses my dad bought for my mum. The shed burnt down some years ago when there were a spate of arson attacks. At least I will carry on this one for another generation.

I've been on these allotments for years, since I was a nipper. Although I'm pretty green when it comes to actually growing stuff. All I've done so far is dig all his spuds and onions up and harvest the beans and sprouts.

So that's my intro really. I'm going to be visiting this forum regularly for advice and look up info.

Cheers, Rhys :)
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Inherited allotment.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 22:16 »
Welcome to the forum, and good luck at keeping up with all your Dad's hard work  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 22:18 »
HI Rhys and welcome to the forums. I am sorry to hear that your Dad passed away recently, but he surely would be glad you are able to keep one of the "family" allotments going, and be glad you chose the one with the special roses to keep.

I look forward to hearing how you get on during the coming season and hope you find time for a peaceful sit down from time to time to enjoy happy memories
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 23:10 »
HI Rhys and welcome to the forums. I am sorry to hear that your Dad passed away recently, but he surely would be glad you are able to keep one of the "family" allotments going, and be glad you chose the one with the special roses to keep.

I look forward to hearing how you get on during the coming season and hope you find time for a peaceful sit down from time to time to enjoy happy memories

I haven't planned on planting anything at the minute. I'm more into getting it nicely set up for when I do. I've had a lot of hard work so far cutting down huge brambles and general pruning (the waste heap is about 5 foot high!)

My dad said to me something I will never forget, more so when I'm on the allotment. He said he always found time to go on, even when he'd been at work all day. it was a different sort of tired you'd feel afterwards and a way to escape everyday life an wind down.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 07:53 »
My dad said to me something I will never forget, more so when I'm on the allotment. He said he always found time to go on, even when he'd been at work all day. it was a different sort of tired you'd feel afterwards and a way to escape everyday life an wind down.

Your dad was very wise Rhys. I'm sure you will love every minute you spend at his allotment. Just take the work slow and easy to start with and you will soon have it cracked.
Ooh! And welcome to the forum.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 10:52 »
Welcome to the forum  :D

I know exactly what your dad meant by a different sort of tired.  A plot visit always make the day go better, no matter what work has been like  :)

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 10:53 »
Good luck with it mate, I have found that my plot has become my sanctuary away from the hullabaloo (great word!) of my 'normal' life, I think you will find the same. And a bonus is the memory of your dad working there as well. Family tradition  :)

Loads of help and support on this forum, no question is a stupid question  :D
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 22:40 »
Well, I have roses and bushes at the front that hides it from the main road. I've made sort of a fence out of pallets as well. Since I'm in the building trade I just asked for some from my merchants, and they gave me some big ones from plasterboards..

First thing I bought was a decent pair of Felco's because they do left handed. There's a lot of pruning to be done and has already been done..

I've had to dismantle my dad's cold frames as they were made from rotten window panes, and the galss was falling out. Al well.. Another project for this year, as I have a lot of perspex sheets and some double glazed window units from a house that was having new windows. 3 approx 1m sq.

Just itching to get my new rotavator up and running now..

stompy

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 08:05 »

What lovely words!

He would be proud of you keeping his, now your allotment going.

Edited to fix quote
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 20:57 by Yorkie »

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 23:10 »
I was chatting to my work mate, who knew my dad quite well, about his allotments (as he had one near mine for a while). He was always amazed how my dad found time to run two large allotments. My dad said even when he'd get home late from work, he'd spend an hour one, one night. Then an hour on the other the next night.

A real shame just lately was his fridge freezer. It's still plugged in so it doesn't go off inside. A month ago te freezer decided to defrost and spewed red currant juice all over the floor. I had to bag up all the fruit and veg in it and gave some away, kept as much as I could and had to throw some away. A real shame. Our freezer is full of sprouts, broccoli, broad and runner beans as well as brambles, gooseberries etc. All bagged up into portions.

The last big job I did was to pick all the beans, shell and blanch them. All the spuds are in wooden drawers in the cellar as it's dark and cool down there.

The allotment neighbours are all friendly, especially one old gent who really misses my dad. Anything I need to know, I just have to ask. It's a good community on there, and I'm pleased I can be part of it.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 21:00 »

The allotment neighbours are all friendly, especially one old gent who really misses my dad. Anything I need to know, I just have to ask. It's a good community on there, and I'm pleased I can be part of it.

I'm on your site, Rhys (though you've had contact with the other site secretary and not me), and it's great that you've been able to keep one of the plots in the family.  I'm also really pleased to hear that you've found us a friendly community.

You can always pop into the allotments shop for a natter if we're open when you're over.  We'll bluff with the best of them about the answers to questions!

PS Welcome to the forums too!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 21:00 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 21:47 »

I'm on your site, Rhys (though you've had contact with the other site secretary and not me), and it's great that you've been able to keep one of the plots in the family.  I'm also really pleased to hear that you've found us a friendly community.

You can always pop into the allotments shop for a natter if we're open when you're over.  We'll bluff with the best of them about the answers to questions!

PS Welcome to the forums too!

Graham? He lives opposite my late dad's house. In fact you will more than likely know my dad (Ken Moore) as my allotment is the second one in from the hut. I can park my car and near enough walk straight onto it. I met the lady i the hut as well (forgot her name unfortunately)

He was well known on Scarcroft allotments as the first one to dig his spud rows.

Just been trying to find the PM function on this forum, but looks like there isn't one. (I use 'Yorkie' on a few forums lol).

I was hoping to be down on Sunday but my car has packed in. Was looking forward to using my new rotavator and make a few things with my pallets (cold frames etc) that's if it doesn't rain  ::)

My dad  :(

I can imagine him watching me and saying 'What the bloomin' heck have you done that for!' as I'm changing things around..

Well, before he had it, it was my granddad's on my mum's side. Before him it was my grandmas on my dad's side - that's when I first went on it. It had a nice shed then, before it got burnt down some years ago..
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 21:53 by Rhys »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 22:09 »
Yes, I remember Ken well - I think he had the biggest spud order going, and he'd come into the shop to pick it up and renew his subs nice and early in the season.

Graham and I share the site secretary work; sorry to hear about the car but there's plenty of time yet to get spuds in!

PS You'll get the PM function when you've done a few more posts.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 22:09 by Yorkie »

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 22:12 »
Yes, I remember Ken well - I think he had the biggest spud order going, and he'd come into the shop to pick it up and renew his subs nice and early in the season.

Graham and I share the site secretary work; sorry to hear about the car but there's plenty of time yet to get spuds in!

PS You'll get the PM function when you've done a few more posts.

Thanks  :smile:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 09:07 »
Sounds like you are surrounded by folk who knew and respected your Dad Rhys, as well as those who would happily advise and help you with his plot if needed.

I like that you have a boundary hedge to screen you from the road... creates a real oasis like that!

xx
new to allotment

Started by Honeybee68 on Welcome to the Forums

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2018, 16:48
by Fairy Plotmother
xx
Greetings - New Allotment

Started by Fimble on Welcome to the Forums

8 Replies
Last post June 04, 2019, 08:21
by Iecabus
xx
New Allotment

Started by CatherineR on Welcome to the Forums

10 Replies
Last post January 13, 2018, 04:03
by Mophair
question
Just got an allotment!

Started by Dan82 on Welcome to the Forums

4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2020, 09:43
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 41 queries.