And then there were 2

• 10 Replies

raeburg

And then there were 2
« on: May 18, 2010, 16:42 »
Ex bats left. Peckle was fine this morning but I found her dead this afternoon. All are quite subdued now. I had 8 girls from BHWT  2 years ago.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: And then there were 2
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 17:49 »
so sorry Rae, at least she had 2 good years of learning to behave like a proper chicken with sun and rain and sky xxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 19:50 »
Ahhh, im so sorry, like Joy says, 2 good years
Quality not quantity :(

raeburg

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 23:24 »
That's how I'm looking at it, they have had 2 years more life and the way chickens were meant to live.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 09:15 »
Sorry to hear about your hen but at least she didn't suffer by the sound of it and hadn't been ill previously

I'm down to two girls now but don't want to add a third as I've got one that's evil  :D

Hawkins

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 12:45 »
sorry for your sad news Rae, I know how you feel, i'm down to 5 from 14 that I had 16 months ago.

But like everyone says they had a fab 2 years being chickens.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 13:47 »
So sorry.  Cherish the other 2.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 15:13 »
Sorry to hear it too. I know how much you cherish them.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

cheriton

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 19:04 »
Oh raeburg I am sorry to hear about peckle but you have given your ex bats a great life since you have had them.
 I am picking up 3 ex bats next saturday from bhwt but hearing of their short life spans has me worried :unsure: :unsure:

Flowerpower136

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 10:25 »
Oh raeburg I am sorry to hear about peckle but you have given your ex bats a great life since you have had them.
 I am picking up 3 ex bats next saturday from bhwt but hearing of their short life spans has me worried :unsure: :unsure:

Oh, please don't be but off getting ex-batts for this reason.  Any time spent enjoying their retirement out of those cages is wonderful, even if sometimes it is short.  I was devastated to lose Allice after 9 months, but they were the best 9 months in her short life, and I was so lucky to share them.   

The joy you will get from seeing them discover and understand comparative freedom will knock you for six.  All the funny little chickeny things they do, and love to do, and if not for rehoming, would never have had chance to do. 

Right now, the remaining 7 are blissfully sunbathing, having spent the early hours sorting out the compost bins for me.  I got 3 eggs and a joyous welcome this morning.  It's win win all round. :D

raeburg

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 15:10 »
Totally agree, I wouldn't have missed out on giving these girls a chance.  They have enjoyed every minute. Plus I now have a chicken addiction :)  These hens have not been bred for being long lived, rather to be prolific egg layers in their first 18 months of life.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 37 queries.