Bread flour - just in time!

• 15 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Bread flour - just in time!
« on: May 14, 2020, 20:54 »
My 4kg bag of flour arrived today, from Squires Kitchen - the expected delivery date was the 29th  ::)
Good job, though, as I'd just used up the last of the white flour I could get from Trashco.
The Squires flour was more expensive than Allinson's from the s/m but I'd rather make my own, as usual  cos 'm still not going shopping.

Growster...

Re: Bread flour - just in time!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 21:05 »
What's it like at Crooksfoot, Mum?

It's a big store, isn't it!

If we get to Waitrose here by a quarter to eight, we're in and out with very few people close by, especially if you use their 'zapper' system! I've made several new friends, and we agreed today, that for some reason, we all go on a Thursday, but haven't a clue why!

Glad you got your bread flour though, I think the stuff we have is a few months past it's use-by date, so we just freeze one of their loaves in four slice bags...:0~

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 21:18 »
What's it like at Crooksfoot, Mum?
It's a big store, isn't it!
Glad you got your bread flour though, I think the stuff we have is a few months past it's use-by date, so we just freeze one of their loaves in four slice bags...:0~
Yes, it is - but I don't know how they're handling queues atm. I don't drive nowadays and won't go on the bus atm! Every time I did my usual on-line order no flour was available, so really don't think they have any in stock :( 
Everybody seems to be baking - just for something to do, mostly  :D

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 21:58 »
You stay well, and keep on going like that!

I bet the tang of baking is driving everyone near you nuts!

:0)

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 07:09 »
I have just done a bulk flour order for a couple of my neighbours. I took a 25kg bag of organic plain and a 16kg bag of Canadian Strong White. One other neighbour wanted a 16Kg Strong White and another wanted a 25Kg Self Raising.

There is not really any shortage of flour... it is just a shortage of flour in retail packaging.

Bulk bags have about a year of shelf life when in food storage boxes apart from Wholemeal which will not keep as long due to the oils in the wheatgerm.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 08:23 »
That's true Daniel, it's well worth buying a big bag, but that's just too much for me though, and no-one near me wants to share :(
They like to share fruit buns when I make them though  :lol: :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 09:01 »
Mum, story of the little red hen springs to mind lol
Daniel, how do you store it all & where?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DanielCoffey

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 11:31 »
Any hard plastic box with a well sealed lid will do the trick. You can use anything from the white plastic 5-gallon round drums with re-sealing lids to clear food storage boxes like the Tupperware, Lock&Lock and ones sold by online stores for food.

I found that a 25Kg sack of plain *just* fits in three 12L rectangular boxes and that the 16Kg strong fits in three of the 9L ones. I use them for storing all sorts of dry goods such as beans, bags of sugar and cereal.

It is all kept off the floor on shelving in a shaded part of the house. I knew the space in my utility cupboard would be good for something!

I live in an area with a LOT of mice so absolutely no food whatsoever is left out or stored in anything other than a box. I have not had any issues with anything being nibbled so far. I know the little devils can gnaw plastic but if they don't know what is inside, they don't bother.

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 14:50 »
I've bought bread flour in 20kg sacks for years, because you get much nicer bread from the flour than you do in the s/m (which we are also not visiting) It fits very nicely in one of those laundry powder tins, with the scoop hanging on the outside, although it confuses visitors.

I must admit, in my general stock up, I did not consider the craze for bread baking most people seem to have gone on. I think its a combination of something to do with the children, and increasing well-being by feeling provisioned.  My own child is so bored of baking bread (which we do every Friday!) that she isn't remotely interested any more (she doesn't much like bread anyway, and would rather play charades over FaceTime with her cousins!)

DanielCoffey

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 14:35 »
Reckon I have enough?
P1000962.JPG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 15:02 »
Probably  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 15:19 »
Hmm I like buying in bulk. I’ll have to monitor how much we use & over what period etc.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 15:23 »
I'd love to bulk buy,  but really, I just don't have the room in this tiny house - more's the pity!

chrissie B

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 10:06 »
Bread flour headache I usually have  3 bags but I was sweating when I got to the last bag ,daughter got me 1 then just did shopping  picked the odd one up here and there where I found it then daughter got me 4 so I'm ahead of it

Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

chrissie B

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 09:17 »
Flour creeping back in shops I've got plenty as my daughter picks me 4 at a time had to put a halt on it running out of places to put it
Chrissie b

xx
Old bread flour.

Started by Elaine G on Kitchen Natter

4 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 18:58
by DanielCoffey
xx
Flour conversion

Started by Elaine G on Kitchen Natter

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2020, 10:48
by lettice
xx
Bread machines

Started by LILLILEAF on Kitchen Natter

7 Replies
Last post October 06, 2022, 17:46
by rowlandwells
xx
delia bread

Started by chrissie B on Kitchen Natter

23 Replies
Last post October 22, 2015, 20:25
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 54 queries.