rhubarb leaves

• 9 Replies

oldtimer

rhubarb leaves
« on: April 17, 2009, 12:30 »
iv seen it on tv that if u soak rubarb leaves in water it makes a natural pest control is this right and which pests does it control :D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 12:30 by Ice »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: rhubarb leaves
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 12:34 »
Rhubarb leaves have been said to be a pesticide, but are not legal or officiallly approved for use as such, as there are so many variables and testing needed.

Having said that, a quick use of the search facility brings a number of links, including

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=29166.0

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=7565.0

Good luck!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

siandc

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 12:18 »

cAnAry53

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 19:24 »
The welsh bloke on Big Dig on Uk gardens used them to keep butterflys off his cabbages and swore by it although it does pong a bit,im trying it myself this year

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 19:26 »
i thought i might give it a go to,i found a big black plastic bin in some bushes and think it would be perfect for 'brewing' it in

Babstreefern

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 20:19 »
Its actually a liquid fertisler, and believe me, it does not keep off catterpillars.  I used it on my caulies, and I had cabbage white catterpillars over it.  The only way to keep the little pests off is by netting. 

Although I did notice last year, I planted my peas right next to the cabbages.  The butterflies came skipping over next door's fence, danced over the peas (never landing on them) and kept going, never once landing on the cabbages.  I was watching for over half an hour and this happened every time a butterfly came by, and there were quite a few. :tongue2:
Babs

David.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 21:48 »
Its actually a liquid fertisler, and believe me, it does not keep off catterpillars.  I used it on my caulies, and I had cabbage white catterpillars over it.  The only way to keep the little pests off is by netting. 

I always thought an insecticide had to be sprayed onto the pest to kill them -  unless systemic - and I don't think that claim has been made for rhubarb leaf preparations.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 21:58 »
I think it was the smell that was supposed to deter the cabbage whites...... cos they couldn't smell cabbages they would fly away. But they're obviously not that confused by the smell....it doesn't work >:(

peterjf

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 22:48 »
a weak solution of 5ml washing up liquid to 7 lts water in sprayer will sort out the aphids , as they breath through there skin the solution suffercates them hahahahahahahahahaha        hahahahahahahahahaha

David.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 20:17 »
I think it was the smell that was supposed to deter the cabbage whites...... cos they couldn't smell cabbages they would fly away. But they're obviously not that confused by the smell....it doesn't work >:(

Are you sure? - I thought it was the acid content of the leaves that was the active insecticide ingredient, thus the need for contact with the offending pests.;

xx
Rhubarb leaves

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 22:39
by Mr Dog
xx
rhubarb leaves.

Started by sprinkler1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 20:09
by Trillium
xx
Rhubarb leaves

Started by DonnaM on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 10:20
by noshed
xx
Rhubarb leaves gone

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post December 11, 2009, 17:30
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 40 queries.