Sweet potatoes

• 6 Replies

GraciesGran

Sweet potatoes
« on: October 30, 2020, 07:53 »
Husband has decided that we should grow some next year.  This means he will help to plant and harvest them.  I get to do the bit in the midfle!

Any hints/advice would be gratefully received.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweet potatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 08:18 »
There have been several threads about this subject over the years - here's just one of them (make yourself a cup of tea first!  :lol:):

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101119.msg1125236#msg1125236

(Basically, they need plenty of warmth and a long growing season, so luck will play a part, especially if growing them outdoors.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 08:52 »
I tried 3 plants in the greenhouse border one year, and all I got was a few that there the shape and size of carrots - so never tried again  :nowink:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:53 by mumofstig »

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 15:30 »
Having second thoughts

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 17:13 »
You can buy slips of varieties that are recommended for the UK.  But I’ve never heard a report of success  :(

Sweet potatoes bought in the supermarket are hot country varieties.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 11:35 »
(I went to use the 'quote' thingy, ended up watching an avocado and radish? soap cutter)! and no way to get it off the screen.

I tried 3 plants in the greenhouse border one year, and all I got was a few that there the shape and size of carrots - so never tried again 
My sentiments exactly Mum.  Masses and masses of greenery but carroty potatoes.
Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Marieceleste

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 19:23 »
Husband has decided that we should grow some next year.  This means he will help to plant and harvest them.  I get to do the bit in the midfle!

Any hints/advice would be gratefully received.
I have a love hate relationship with growing sweet potatoes. First year in pots...nothing but foliage! Second year in pots but covered with plastic I could see that potatoes were ready to form but didn’t quite make it. Last year, after advice on Instagram I took to my allotment and put them in the ground. I got a few potatoes but misshapen. I figured out I did not add enough sand to make the soil loose like for carrots. This is what I’m doing this year (I vowed I will not stop trying to get a decent crop if it kills me). Mix your compost with horticultural  sand so that it is loose. Make sure you have a little mound. Plant your slips with a little bone meal if you like. Cover with fleece to keep the warmth in. I just lifted a corner of fleece to water them so they don’t dry out. This year I’m using a drip method so the fleece don’t have to be touched. I let the vines provide extra warmth too. This year I’m optimistic. BTW a magnet for slugs. Hopes it works for you if you haven’t changed your mind

xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
sweet potatoes

Started by izzy on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 20:27
by peapod
xx
sweet potatoes

Started by johnwoots on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 18:58
by Yorkie
xx
Sweet potatoes ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 18:41
by Trillium

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 30 queries.