Sweet potatoes

• 5 Replies

crowndale

Sweet potatoes
« on: December 16, 2007, 14:21 »
I know sweet potatoes have been covered recently but don't think this question has!  I left some SP in my vege cupboard and when I went today to get somehting else out of it I noticed that both of them had sprouted 6-8" sprouts (slips?).  I had no intention of planting SP this year however I could squeeze some in in the interests of experimentation!  :wink:  The question is though will these sprouts be ok to use given that they have been grown in the dark and inside polythene or should I leave them in the light a while before potting up or just scrap the idea altogether?  They wouldn't be planted out til much later in the year as the soil is not likely to be warm enough so what size pot would be best to avoid disturbing them again?
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

gobs

Sweet potatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 14:48 »
Well I'm waiting to be corrected, but don't think people start there sweet potatoes this early, so difficult to guess, what size you get by June.

Otherwise, you plant up the slips, which I'm unsure the quality of, given in what conditions they came about.

Piccie, please?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WG.

Sweet potatoes
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 16:33 »
I think it would be a real struggle to give any such plants enough light at this time of year.  Even if you could keep them warm enough.

crowndale

Sweet potatoes
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 17:50 »
So scrap them then?  As I said I wasn't actually planning to grow any, just thought if these were viable I'd give them a chance.

gobs

Sweet potatoes
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 18:18 »
Well, I would think so, for several reasons, from what you say, I do not think they are proper slips, like leaves on little plantlets but weak running after the light blanched shoots. And there is what WG says, true, and then supie varieties are not that good for the climate and also can have disease, I've tried. :oops:

crowndale

Sweet potatoes
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 20:04 »
Well they do have little leaves but I would worry about potential deseases.  Am happy to learn from your mistakes Gobs!!  :wink:   Maybe another year when I am properly up and running with teh allotment and garden patch I'll have a go with 'proper' sweet pototoes.

xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
sweet potatoes

Started by boot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 11:22
by bigben
xx
Sweet Potatoes

Started by mraggett on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 15:25
by aelf
xx
sweet potatoes

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 20:26
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 39 queries.