Really good gardening gloves???????

• 13 Replies

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
Really good gardening gloves???????
« on: December 28, 2012, 14:24 »
 :(I have been struggling for years to find the perfect gardening gloves.  Admittedly my needs are quite specific - they need to be sensitive enough for me to feel through them, yet waterproof and thornproof enough to be worn for heavyish tasks.  Living where I do, I often have to weed, or dig, in wet, muddy soil and in the winter this can fill my fingers with hacks, unless I wear something warm and waterproof, that I don't have to take off every time I need to tackle a more delicate task.  I have tried sailing gloves - they were quite good as it goes - and recently bought three pairs of Briers gloves because they looked like the right thing at a bargain price, but in the end, they got clogged and dried out with mud very quickly and, once washed, became hard and brittle.  I am a gardener for other folk as well as myself, so I spend a lot of my time with my hands in the dirt - any thoughts out there?
 :unsure:

snowdrops

Re: Really good gardening gloves???????
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 15:28 »
I've never found 1 pair of gloves that would do all those tasks, I wear a fine glove for fine tasks, can't think what sort they are, 1 pair were Briers but think they were like neoprene or something, & then put on a leather pair over the top for pruning viscous jobs.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 16:48 »
I got a pair of these in the sales.  They are really warm and waterproof in winter.

I think you may struggle to balance the competing desires to have sensitivity and protection from thorns.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 17:00 »
I use these http://www.screwfix.com/p/general-handling-builders-gloves/74540

Cheap as chips and trow away if knackered. Would say thorns wouldn't go through, but very good for the price.
Kind Regards
Bill

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 18:14 »
I would also recommend Goldleaf, although you would probably need two pairs to cover your various needs, but they do several different weights etc.  :)

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 19:28 »
Wow - lots of options.  I'll check them all out.  I have also gone the route of using different gloves for different tasks, including latex/disposable gloves underneath thicker, warmer ones and that works quite well.  Also the latex are good for the summer - even for weeding.  Perhaps I should stop looking for something multi-purpose and go back to the different pairs.  Just getting lazy I suppose, not wanting to constantly have to change them

grendel

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 22:22 »
I usually have fun getting gloves to fit my big hands, so for heavy work I use a pair of welders mittens, these have a thumb, one finger and a mitten for the other 3, nice and heavy weight for thorns and brambles.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 15:37 »
Thanks Grendel.  I have used a similar option with fingerless sailing gloves which are very strong, but I do need the fingers unfortunately, or my fingers - especially thumbs - split and leave painful hacks, particularly in wet cold.  I have looked at Goldleaf online and they get good reviews.  Does anyone know if they are washable, or do they just go hard and inflexible once washed?  If they don't help, I may return to full-fingered sailing gloves as they seem to last as long, if not longer than all the top make gardening gloves.  Is this a marketing opportunity for someone?
 :happy:

Agatha

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 13:50 »
I've found lots of gloves that are better than/as good as goldleaf and much cheaper, so I'd avoid them unless you get them really cheap in a sale.  I use pruning gauntlets for heavy-duty work and a lighter-weight pair for general work - I don't have a specific brand - usually go for whatever is cheapest/fits best but usually buy brier or town & country as reasonable for quality and price.  I've found most leather/suede gloves dry badly so I tend to use waterproof ones for wet weather. 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 13:54 »
Showa for me

Waterproof palms and finger ends, stretchy back and wrist section. Easy to weed by hand and not get soaked, and fine for pruning thorny logan berries. Vicious goosberries however need some extra care!!!

In the winter I squeeze a pair of cheap thin cotton gloves inside them and my hands are as warm as anything.

and you can stick them in the wshing machine too  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Eblana

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 14:29 »
Showa for me as well - couldn't live without them.  I also have a friend who suffers with skin allergies and couldn't wear most types of gardening gloves - I lent her a pair of my Showa's to try and she now doesn't use anything else either.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 14:51 »
+1 for Showa. I have them in three different weights/thicknesses.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 10:51 »
I hate to get technical but I'm really interested in the Showa gloves - however, looking online it seems there are several different ones (350, 370).  I'm looking for something that will keep my fingers warm and dry, that are strong, that can be washed and won't go rock hard and that is flexible enough for me to do some reasonably delicate tasks while wearing them.  Can you help me narrow them down?  Thanks.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 16:23 »
Showa 451 Thermo or even warmer are Skytec Argon, but they are getting on the thick side for delicate work. Warm for heavier work though.

xx
Good Quality gardening Gloves

Started by wbmkk on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post March 16, 2023, 17:19
by wighty
xx
gardening gloves- cleaning?

Started by redhat on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post December 16, 2007, 22:06
by noshed
xx
Pruning gloves

Started by Yorkie on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2019, 20:42
by jezza
xx
Gardening boots

Started by LILLILEAF on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2023, 08:35
by Christine

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 36 queries.