shell pigment ???

• 10 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
shell pigment ???
« on: September 07, 2010, 22:02 »
Seem to have the soft shells under control with the limestone flour however annie who normally layed very dark brown eggs is laying eggs with no colour at all just a kind of beige colour any ideas why this could be???
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: shell pigment ???
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:04 »
the colour is the last stage of the egg laying process so it sounds like she is rushing this bit. How old is she? Age, temperature, season etc can all play a part in this but it is nothing to worry about - she just needs a change of ink cartridge  ;)  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:38 »
We get some really weird shells.  Some huge very white chalky ones, though they seem to have stopped now.  Others all speckly but just at one end.  But, mine are menopausal ex batts so don't really expect anything else.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 14:55 »
she is less than a year old about 8 months. also is too much calcium bad if it in the layers and the oyster shell and I'm giving limestone flour can I give tHem to much ?

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 15:23 »
I think you can overdo the calcium (Hillfooter will put us straight), and at that age, if on a good blanced diet, she shouldn't really need lots of supplements?

With my ex batts any egg is a marvel, so not too bothered about colour of shell to be honest!  I only get upset about soft shells because the girls can have a terrible time trying to lay them.  Don't care about the lost eggs, but don't want them to be out of sorts.

Perhaps others, who are more 'egg wise' can comment?

Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 18:28 »
You only need to give limestone flour for a couple of days i put a bit on half a grape and give it to the chicken that needs it.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 07:07 »
I just don't understand why when nothing has changed she would start lacking calcium but that part is fixed now I hope  and after months of perfect brown eggs why would she start rushing the pigment bit now ??? I can't help but think this is a sign that something is wrong if it's the weather wouldn't the others be affected if it's the mites wouldn't the others be affected ? If it's the diet wouldn't the others be affected it's starting to send me bonkers thinking about it !

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 07:51 »
just remember each hen is an individual and as such their bodies will react in different ways to outside pressures  :)

carolbriar

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:13 »
I have a year old Cuckoo Maran and her eggs vary in colour almost from day to day.  Sometimes they are darkish brown, sometimes speckled with lighter brown underneath, plain mid brown etc.  She seems absolutely fine and has been doing this since for some time.  I think as Joyfull says, the pigment blip.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Jeanette

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:36 »
It just makes it more fun when egg collecting to see what colour you have got.

josh5357

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 21:33 »
I Hope I am over the soft shell problem,none for 2 days. added crushed oyster shells to the layer mash (which they love ) Its still early days yet. I have also bought shell max which arrived today which I have been advised to try.Don't know what I would have done without the help from everyone---- thanks Josh
Are your  eggs still hard

clip
odd pigment at tip of shells

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 20, 2013, 17:38
by Carrie99
xx
Egg Shell

Started by mpv1961 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 10:49
by LittleRedHen
xx
No shell

Started by Pattie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 20:35
by themagicaltoad1
xx
egg but no shell

Started by buggie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 17:27
by buggie

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 39 queries.