Over-eating at this time of the year

• 9 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Over-eating at this time of the year
« on: November 23, 2022, 10:40 »
As soon as the days get colder, I'm permanently hungry and constantly snacking. I'm a long way from obesity at 12 stone but I tend to gain about 5lbs by Christmas, find my trouser-waist is too tight and then go on a diet for a couple of months. I never learn as it happens every year. Anyone else afflicted?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Over-eating at this time of the year
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 12:16 »
I do the same every year - it's the way our bodies are programmed.
When it’s cold, the body has to work harder and spends more energy trying to keep warm. Eating helps to generate the much needed internal heat, by causing a rise in body temperature. So the desire to eat is due, in part, to our body’s increased energy use.

Research has shown that even with our heating, lighting, and warm clothes, seasonal eating still has a major influence on satiety mechanisms in the body, just as it did for our ancestors. Cool weather may trigger an evolutionary relic inside us to fatten up in order to survive tough environmental conditions, the way many other animals do.
https://courtneymedicalgroupaz.com/2019/10/30/why-do-people-eat-more-in-the-winter/#:~:text=When%20it's%20cold%2C%20the%20body,our%20body's%20increased%20energy%20use.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 08:44 »
I find my snacking is also boredom related. There's plenty to do normally but when it's dull, wet and cold like it has been lately there very little that can be done other than walk to the fridge.   I hate to think how much I've put on lately but it's certainly more than 5lbs  :nowink:

wighty

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 16:14 »
If anyone has any spare 'flab' could they send it my way please.  I've been told I've got to 'put on' a minimum of 6lb.  So far I've managed 1lb.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 18:19 »
In Michael Green's hilarious book, 'The Art of Coarse Rugby', one of the characters says that he gets into training for the new season by giving up bitter beer, and just taking the local mild...

Know the feeling...:0~

GraciesGran

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 10:57 »
If anyone has any spare 'flab' could they send it my way please.  I've been told I've got to 'put on' a minimum of 6lb.  So far I've managed 1lb.

I can provide all you need!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 14:52 »
Last Wednesday, I was near a big Lidl.   I wanted something specific, just one thing.  Came out with a basket load.  Got home and ate my own body weight in rather unhealthy things   ::)    Yes a lot of it is due to boredom.     :ohmy:   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jaydig

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 16:18 »
As soon as the days get colder, I'm permanently hungry and constantly snacking. I'm a long way from obesity at 12 stone but I tend to gain about 5lbs by Yule, find my trouser-waist is too tight and then go on a diet for a couple of months. I never learn as it happens every year. Anyone else afflicted?

I'm the same, I'm always about half a stone heavier by the end of winter, mainly because I crave carbs and stodge.  It soon drops off when the weather picks up though, when salads seem much more appealing and there's more to be done in the garden.

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 17:16 »
 I tend to get up later in these dark mornings, so the days are shorter, but I still manage to get breakfast lunch and dinner in and having stews and puddings puts the pounds on then along comes spring longer days plenty to do outdoors on the allotments home gardening and other things that tend to burn of the celeries

the wife keeps saying you should go for a daily walk or ride your bike to get you weight down I always say the car needs a run if I don't take it for a run, it might not start tomorrow then I have to use the bike :ohmy:

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 18:29 »
My excuse for the bike is the standard level of potholes which are mandatory in Kent, especially on the purposely - designed rat-runs in the four lanes to avoid the Highgate traffic lights here!

When the average KCC pothole - or drain grating - is about two inches deep, the 20" wheel of the bike goes down one side, then often doesn't like coming up the other, so the Growsterbum gets a jolt every fifty yards or so! The language along Rye Road is sometimes quite interesting!

'Law of sod' says that when a cyclist approaches one of the potholes or sunken gratings, a bus or lorry is ready there, trying to overtake, so the noise can be quite excruciating...

But it does help to take a few calories off into the bargain!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 18:30 by Growster... »

xx
It's that time of year...

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post October 24, 2018, 21:02
by Lardman
xx
Hate this time of year

Started by jambop on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2019, 10:04
by jambop
xx
That time of the year again, kids' nativity plays

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post December 10, 2019, 20:26
by wighty
xx
Time to change the time

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post October 28, 2019, 17:47
by Growster...

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 49 queries.