Bean Frame Question.

• 3 Replies

MickyB

• Experienced Member
Bean Frame Question.
« on: December 22, 2013, 16:29 »
I have been given some mesh to use as a framework for the runner beans to grow up, I have some cast iron posts to attached this mesh to, my question is does the mesh need to be angled or can I tie wrap it securely to these posts in a vertical upright position? I would prefer to tie wrap them in a vertical position because this would allow me to attached all the mesh (top, middle and bottom) directly to the posts and allow for a more secure fit, which I hope can be re-used year after year.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Bean Frame Question.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 17:01 »
As I'm sure you know runner beans climb by twining round their supports - the holes need to be of sufficient size not to make it too difficult for them to do that (but untangling the spent bines from the mesh in autumn could well be difficult!)

They'll happily climb at an angle (a la Munty frame) although the further away from vertical the supports are the more likely you are to have to "help" them from time to time.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 11:17 »
Thanks JayG  ;)

The mesh was donated by an allotment neighbour who along with others have used the mesh for the same purpose for many a year - so I am sure that it will be OK for the beans to twine around.

I noticed that the Munty frames and similar supports all tend to lean inwards and just wondered if that was to make it easier to harvest the beans or to help the beans get established - from your reply I take it it is angled more to add stability to the structure.

The case iron posts are solid and a good 4ft into the ground, if I can attached the mesh directly to the posts I think should be able to leave it in situ and reuse it year after year.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 11:50 »
The main advantages of a Munty frame are that unlike the traditional inverted "V" or wigwam the beans do not become congested near the top, and most of them hang down nice and straight and convenient for picking.

Although on the face of it it takes up more space than the single row you are proposing, you can grow other crops underneath the sloping area, and you will no doubt have to leave room on both sides of yours for picking the beans anyway.

You could probably build a Munty frame using your mesh instead of the more conventional stringing (or galvanised wire in my case) but I don't want to be accused of overselling something you might not be convinced about!  ;)

xx
Bean frame (Munty)

Started by aubergine on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 22:08
by Jackypam
xx
Scaffold pole bean frame

Started by Lisa62 on Design and Construction

17 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 21:45
by pigguns
xx
Fold out running bean frame

Started by EddieJ on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post December 03, 2010, 16:18
by Aunt Sally
question
Cold frame question

Started by WhiteWolf on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 01:41
by Trillium

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 37 queries.