Netting

• 3 Replies

timdunn

Netting
« on: March 13, 2014, 15:03 »
Hello,

I'm thinking ahead to the inevitable avian assault of my fruit bushes this year and have decided to invest in some new netting. The last stuff I used was a nightmare, as got tangled all the time and stuck on twigs and thorns.

So, I'm looking for some advice on what's best. Ideally, I'd like something that doesn't snag, tangle and can be draped over bushes and strawberries without restricting/warping their growth. I don't mind shelling out if the stuff will last a long time either.

Thanks!

Tim

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Netting
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 15:12 »
I use this stuff - you can specify approximate length and width, and it's an appealing shade of green.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 15:16 »
I think 'draping' with garden netting works OK for strawberries because birds can't easily get underneath, although bold specimens may peck through it.

Luckily I don't have to net my autumn raspberries because the birds seem to have either disappeared or lost interest by the time they fruit, but my blueberries have to be very securely netted (the humble blackbird would kill to get at them - draping is not enough.)

Some people make substantial semi-permanent fruit cages but I merely use canes with small pop bottles over the ends, then place garden netting over it, peg it securely all the way round, and arrange to have a 'flap' of netting for easy access for picking (plastic spring clothes pegs are great for holding it up while you do so.)

Have never found a type of plastic netting which doesn't involve a bad-tempered wrestling match at some stage, although once it's in place there's no real problem (until you take it down again!!  ::))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 15:40 »
i used these people last year for my net.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/elixirgardens?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754

the net did snag and pick up twigs, but i think every net will do this. it was easy to untangle as opposed to the fine horrible stuff. it really got some stick from being pulled tight and held in place with bricks over sharp concrete edging and rips or tears.

xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
netting

Started by greenstan77 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2009, 11:09
by Stripey_cat
xx
Netting

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2022, 18:37
by Growster...
xx
I don't like netting

Started by Petite graine on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 13:40
by Lee G

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 41 queries.