Read this tale of woe, for a laugh.

• 9 Replies

mrs bouquet

Read this tale of woe, for a laugh.
« on: February 17, 2024, 17:04 »
Calamity Jane, has been at it again.

Last Wednesday I went to the hospital for my Zolendronic Infusion.  I was a bit sad, because it was where I used to have to take my DH for his treatment.   However, it was completed for me and not too painful, but the nurse went to get the tablets I need to take with the treatment and they had run out.  Got them now from the Doctor.
Felt very cold in bed that night and piled on more blankets.    The second night ie:  Thursday I made my self a hot water bottle.   (newish from S----bury).  Put on my thick bedsock and off I went.  About 2am, I stretched my feet and thought that doesn't feel right.   Got out and pulled the pile of blankets back and the hot water bottle had leaked all  its water out.   My new mattress is 1200 pockets springs, other stuff and a top coating of memory foam, all of which was totally soaked.    I started to put sheets in the drier and got a big towel to start to gently press water out of the mattress.   I then coated it in Baking Powder..
Changed stuff in the drier, now onto blankets etc.    Then I realised that my bedsocks were soaking wet and my feet freezing.   I had stuffed my feet into furry slippers so they were soaking as well.
The mattress if 12 inches deep and very heavy, I read drying instructions on Google and tried to move it off the brand new base.  this done, I stood it at the end of the bed and put the de-humidifier on hot.
It is now 4.30am !   Climbed onto the settee and went into a nightmare sleep.  awoke about one and a half hours later, went into the bedroom and the mattress had toppled over and knocked over the dehumidifer, so the water poured out of that onto the carpet.  More treading on old towel and baking powder.  I felt quite unwell as a result of the infusion, but no time to dwell on that !  I just went back to the settee for some more sleep.  My house looking like a refugee centre full of bedding etc.
The next day I found a new fan heater in a cupboard and set it up on the mattress propped halfway across the bed.    I have now vacuumed off the baking powder and turned the heater off.  Managed to swivel the blanket into place and put the protector back on.  (I shall get a waterproof).   Tomorrow my daughter can help me to make it up, but another night on the settee today.   I must say I have slept better on the sofa.
My bad back has been supported on the back on the settee..   
I can laugh now, but I haven't been laughing since Wednesday.     That's why Mum and Dad called my Calamity Jane.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jaydig

Re: Read this tale of woe, for a laugh.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 18:54 »
Oh, Mrs B, what an awful few days you've had!   I hope you're feeling better now after all the trauma - I don't think it could have been any worse.  Reading about everything that happened and went wrong time and time again, I couldn't help being reminded of something and I must ask - You aren't related to a Gas man that used to call on a Monday morning, are you.  There was a song about him if I remember rightly.  Only teasing - I really do hope that things are ok with you now. xxx

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 21:07 »
Oh so sorry to hear this Mrs B. Hope you allow the mattress long enough to dry out from the inside
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 23:35 »
I am certain it has dried out now.  It did happen Wednesday night and it has had hot blow fan heaters on it ever since.  Imagine my electric bill.   :ohmy:   Mrs Bouquet

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 09:27 »
I had to have a hot blow fan heater and a dehumidifier on for a week or more to dry my bathroom walls out (removal of old shower unearthed leaky pipe shoddily installed by bathroom fitter last time round).  It did add a bit to the power bill, but only around £20, so don’t worry too much.

Hopefully that will be the end of the Calamity Jane moments for a while.  You sound like you have had more than your share the last few days.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 11:46 »
You’re a tough lady to cope with all that in the middle of  the night  :(

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2024, 16:42 »
After another night on the sofa, the novelty has worn off.    Daughter has helped to make up bed.  I shall not sleep any more, but it will be more snug.
I have just been upstairs, and the whole of my guest room floor, windows etc, are covered in a thick layer of
dead of very nearly so, House flies.   I have managed to drag up the large vacuum, so they are all gone for now.   That must be my two things   (for the present)    :D :D  Mrs B

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 09:43 »
You are such a strong laydee! I would have stuck my head under the duvet if it hadn't been wet through.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jezza

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2024, 16:18 »
Hello I  know how you feel I had a problem with a very wet bed when the council roofing contractors removing asbestos decided to remove 2 rows of roof tiles on the day of storm Cara (Friday),I heard some thing tapping out side my bed room window ,noticed it was the temporary covering tapping the scaffolding  then saw the water pouring down the walls ,made a cup of tea for me and my mum at 6am put light on in bed room there was water pouring down the light shade like a shower  then an almighty bang as the light fitting blew up ,I called the council at 7am Saturday electrician came at 11am he put another light fitting on it blew then he noticed a bulge forming  in the ceiling next to the light fitting I grabbed a bucket he shoved a screw driver in the bulge ,filled a 4 gallon bucket in seconds,electricianrang the roofing company the looked at it they rang the asbestos removal company the 2 idiots that took the tiles off  eventually turned up at 7.30 pm said it wasnt their responsibility as it was the weekend  ,I told them in no uncertain terms to put the tiles back on and get the scaffolding down by midnight and beggar off ,they made a temporary  repair then turned up Mobdsy morning along with the Boss of the roofing company ,I had called my Ward councillor she was waiting for them and gave the lot of them a rollicking asbestos wad removed with in the day  old roof off and new one on by 1pm on the Tuesday  3 dehumidifier turned up at 6pm they were run for 15 days  got compensated for damage done ceiling repaired and painted af their cost ,   jezza

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 08:49 »
Jolly good for you, and well done for sticking to your guns and giving some a badly-needed and good trouncing!  8)

xx
Please read this, it is important

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2020, 13:56
by GraciesGran
xx
A funny mis-read.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post November 03, 2023, 17:44
by wighty
xx
One to read and think about this Armistice Day...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post November 10, 2023, 11:47
by Growster...
xx
This is a good read

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post November 24, 2021, 15:31
by grinling

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 50 queries.