Biting off more than I can chew?

• 12 Replies

rmd

« on: October 24, 2006, 11:23 »
Hello folks

I am a keen gardener and am about to start redesigning the garden of our house which we moved into earlier this year.  I would like to grow some fruit and veg to feed the five of us and am wondering whether to incorporate a small area for this into our garden (I like flowers too and the kids like football!) or whether to apply for an allotment.  The main worry is would I have enough time to do an allotment justice?  The wife and I both work, we have three kids and it seems like we don't have a minute to spare as it is!  However, I would like to get the kids involved and make the time if it was possible.  I appreciate that there can not be a hard and fast rule about this - it will depend on how much I grow and vary through the year I expect - but some indication would help me decide.

many thanks

Mark

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 11:52 »
I was in a similar postion to yourself, the only difference we could'nt find a house with a big enough garden, I have two brats (sorry kids) and got my allotment in August 02, thought the brats (must get used to calling them kids) would love it, they did for 2 weeks or more and have not been down since, time is the biggest problem I have and it shows, it has taken me weeks to clear the ground again this year as I managed few visits, I am not trying to  put you off but to keep things ticking over does require time, fortunatly my work circumstance has change moving to a different practice which means my day off now coincides with the wifes and little ones swimming which means I now get Monday moring there. I kept at it because of the benifits fresh veg give to the family and now I can see light through the weeds and look froward to next year. Hope you go for it, it is worth the time.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

tully

• Experienced Member
try it an see
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 12:14 »
I have a big allotment in Lytham and I share this with my sister.

We both work full time and the intial clearing took a full week holiday - it was a real mess

four Saturdays and a couple of sundays later and we are now in a position of wondering what to do and a couple of hours hoeing a week will keep it in check.  Its a bit more time consuming in the summer but lighter nights and you can get the children down.  My grandchildren love it and eat veg off the plot but not from the shops.

If you think you cant manage a plot then try and find someone who will share with you - make sure you really like them.

Take a look at my photos and you can see the difference 6 weeks makes

We are two middle aged but spirited women so a young man should be able to manage in half the time :lol:
YOUR NEVER ALONE WITH A CABBAGE

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 12:15 »
ok if i can give you this bit of help . to have an allotment in the first year , could take all sundays and 3 evenings a week to knock it into shape . making use of all time saving elements in the second year you can knock that down to the sunday and 2 nights a week ,my plots have been worked for many years and as such take  a couple of hours a week weeding etc . one day to fully clear ,one day to rotavate ,i spend an hour or so every day just pottering about .i can afford to do this because my plots are right outside my back garden gate you probably have to factor in travelling time ..my greatest asset was my sons and daughter . and now my grand daughter ,by giving them a plot of thier own you get the benefit of them helping you on the main plot and i make it a game .of who wins this or that .. if you cannot give a day broken down during the week ( weather permitting ) i think personally you would be best of sharing a plot between a pal or staying in your garden and fencing a portion off . regs karl  :D and following all the other tips given...  :D
still alive /............

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 12:17 »
a small area at home might be a good way to start. fruit trees can be grow as espaliers along the side of the garden to create living fences, or could be used to devide the veg area from the play area, come to think of it so could any of the bush fruits.
have a go at growing veg in pots and tubs, front garden? how about a veg patch there instead?
maybe once the familly tastes the difference then time might become easier to arrange.
nothing quite like a fresh apple/pear/plum apricot/cherry from the tree.
hmmm i cant get greengages out of my mind now...
anyway the point is, if you cant be sure of getting the time now, why not hone the skill at home to start off, and then get an allotment once you know how much time you might be able to spare later?
what ever you do, enjoy it and the best of luck to you!
 :D
graham

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 14:38 »
why not see if there is a half plot available to you as we did,we'd never had any experience and didnt want to take on too much to start with.have you got any mates who could help with clearance maybe take some sarnies and tinnies round,thats what we did,also kids love to help out and fresh air makes them sleep better.weve just taken the plot next to ours on this week so we have to clear all over again so id better get the radox in :lol:

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 14:53 »
If you aim a bit smaller, its surprising what you can grow. I used to have a plot about 5ft x 15ft when i was a boy, grew lettuce, carrots, beetroots and all sorts, and a few spuds. Just choose veg that doesnt take too much space and is interesting or otherwise dearer in the shops.

a small corner of the garden is fine to start with. And improvise, containers can be used to grow all manner of veg, try a deep long tub for carrots or even a 'potato barrel'. Herbs will grow in hanging baskets. Theres even a range of 'miniveg' that produce small versions of normal veg.

take a look at my blog for an idea what a few dozen square feet can do.

and dont forget indoors - chilis etc on the window sill

Martin
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 15:07 »
Hello Tully, I was trying to make out where you are, at a guess are you Mythop rd? Nice to hear some locals on here.

rmd

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 16:27 »
Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to negotiate with the wife and kids for garden space and start there.  Stockport Council seems to allow you to take on half plots so I'm going to look into that and see how long the waiting list is.
On with the digging etc......

Mark

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 16:40 »
Just take it steady, and dont try to do too much too soon. You can get some garlic in around now, but best to get an area dug and ready in time for spring planting.

Spend plenty of time reading on here, and if you need to know something, just ask

Martin

ted_woodley

Running on Minimum
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 14:50 »
For similar reasons of pressure on time I currently put in the minimum effort needed to get a good crop of vegetables (those that don't require you to pick them on a daily basis !) and keep the plot tidy enough to avoid a letter from the committee. Initially clearing the plot takes as long as it takes - it depends how lucky you are. After that I find 1-2 hours twice a week is enough, unless you miss a couple of weeks in Summer - then you are in trouble ! I also choose to grow things which require less effort and plant to ease maintenance (eg. make sure you can get a hoe between plants) - I find things like strawberries need too much hand weeding. Also I find growning asparagus, raspberries etc. which come year after year minimises effort. This year I didn't do any watering at all, as a result some yields were poor but some were unaffected. As I get more time in years to come I may switch to a more labour-intensive approach and get the benefits of improved yields and variety, but so far running a full-sized plot has been no real problem.

rmd

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 18:25 »
Thanks for advice Ted.  I have started on my back garden and am preparing an area in there for use next year.  If that is a success then I will go for the allotment.  Checking out the waiting list (or lack of) in the meantime.

Mark

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 19:21 »
I've found my two a bit much this year, building the greenhouses and busy work project on. Having said that, it's not too much of a killer to get things back into shape and you can't beat it. After spending hours to find I'd typed a comma instead of a semi-colon which is why a script wasn't working, an hour pottering on the plot is just the way to restore sanity.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
What is biting me ?????????

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 21:25
by LivvyW
xx
Biting the bullet.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 22:42
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 32 queries.