Threat of power outages!?

• 23 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Threat of power outages!?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2022, 18:56 »
The stand-by battery on my house phone lasts about an hour, after that - tough luck!!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2022, 23:22 »
Is this all related to natural gas shortages over there? 

I'm imagining that is the root cause, I'm curious if there is another cause or two involved.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

snowdrops

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2022, 08:07 »
Never mind the gas boiler Lardman without electricity I can’t use my house phone thanks to BT?? More than that an extended power cut would stop me charging my mobile etc. Where we are we have had power cuts longer than 3 hours when the wind blows and knocks out overhead cables. Also we sometimes get cuts for a few seconds that knock out everything with a clock the whole house starts flashing!!
I realise the food in the freezer is probably ok but my worry is that I don’t trust reassurance from power companies. A couple of days off power and we’re in trouble.
I have a “smart meter” that doesn’t work properly after being installed 3 years ago.

You can get power banks to run your mobile, need to be charged up prior to an outage though. I use one at the allotment to run my phone from if needed
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2022, 08:59 »
Is this all related to natural gas shortages over there? 

I'm imagining that is the root cause, I'm curious if there is another cause or two involved.
Yes, gas, or lack of it, is the problem. For years there was complacency about the supply to us of gas from overseas, and the company with the largest store, closed it rather than repair it at it's own cost, when Government didn't think it was its responsibility to pay, either.
Obviously supply is now tight and other countries may not be able to supply any/as much. Industries will be closed, maybe a 3 day week, before homes though.

Goosegirl

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2022, 11:55 »
The stand-by battery on my house phone lasts about an hour, after that - tough luck!!
Ours started to do that then I realised it needed new batteries. Got them changed and all is well now.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2022, 12:17 »
My cordless landline phones don't work at all during a power cut because they depend on the base station for their signal. The base station is mains powered and has no standby battery.  :nowink:

I do have a corded phone though, which should work in a power cut as long as the exchange and BT network is still powered up. Internet should still be available via mobile data, although I imagine I'd be more engaged with trying to remember where I put the candles than surfing the internet!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2022, 11:45 »
We found the same thing, then I looked at the instruction leaflet which said the hand-held phone needed its batteries changing, so I did that last week and have had no problems since.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2022, 17:13 »
Power outages are as likely as the £10 per day rebate for limiting use between 4-7pm ::) 

Modern freezers left closed are fine without power for at least 24 hours, a fridge is much less.  It's just more carrot and stick to encourage "smart" monitoring of your use and supply.

I don't have a smart meter, so it seems I will not get £10 for limited use.  But I do use night-time power as it is cheaper.      Mrs B
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jezza

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2022, 11:52 »
Hello I know a lad with a Burrell showman traction engine,power cut in our area last couple of weeks so he connected the generator to the mains ,got into bother ad he wssnt powering the  national grid ,he said he had paid for the coal why did he need to put in to the national grid ,power grid couldnt answer but still threatened him with a fine    jezza

xx
Lasting power of attourney rebate.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post June 02, 2018, 19:48
by arh
xx
urgent! Lasting power of attourney refund.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post January 31, 2021, 14:52
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 47 queries.