February sow and growing plan

• 29 Replies

gardener247

• Experienced Member
February sow and growing plan
« on: February 16, 2010, 17:57 »
i've sowed shallots onions and garlic under fleeces planted a few fruit trees and have some chili and sweet peppers and aubergnes on the windowsill what are you planning

Cazzy

Re: February sow and growing plan
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 18:16 »
I have the same window ledge stuff on the go along with some celery and early cabbage which its probably too early for.

I'm not sure about the onions but your garlic doesn't need fleece, they benefit from the cold.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 19:28 »
I got some bits started, Cucumbers,Toms, Aubergines, Thyme, Sweet Peppers, Carrots and Parsnips.
Thanks
Kris

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 19:39 »
Well the couple of chilies I sowed are doing ok so far, but the aubergines with the same treatment have turned up their toes and died on me :(
I've no double glazing and I think it's just been a tad too cold on the window ledge, despite moving them into the room at night :unsure:

Hey ho. I'm in no hurry to resow, specially as the long range forecast (BBC) is for below average temps to remain into March :(

Of course if it does warm up before then :lol: ...................

andy135

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 19:46 »
I'm holding off for a bit. We had more snow today. I can't even get on the ground to test the soil yet.

Seed spuds arrived today. They're now laid out in a box in spare bedroom.
I'm planning on sowing a few seeds in pots at the end of this month.

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 20:02 »
I have sown sweet and chilli peppers, seven varieties of tomoatoes and 6 varieties of aubergines into a heated propagator (although I don't know how they'll all fit in the greenhouse if they grow!!)

Some garlic potted up and in the back garden.

I am itching to pot up some leeks DD style (and even bought a spare litter tray today) but I'm possibly a little early for them....

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 20:04 »
You'd probably be OK starting off some leeks. My problem at the moment is that we're going away next Saturday for a week.

My daughter will have to look after any seedlings, so the less there is to leave her, the less will be dead when we get back.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

janet12000

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 20:10 »
My chillies have failed dismally. Only 1 out of 6 germinated and then one of the cats ate the seedling.  :mad:
The poundland cucumbers are romping away in their poundland compost  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 20:14 »
But that's the trouble isn't it Janet? .......where are they romping to...until you can put them outside?..unless you can heat a greenhouse or frame :unsure:

Snoop

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 20:35 »
All my planning is currently in my head! Mind you, I spend a lot of time thinking about it all. I reckon to be under way by the end of next week. I won't bore you all with the details, but it's known as the "Grand Plan" in this household. Which is an improvement on the "I hope you won't be growing any turnips this year" plan, which is pretty well all I heard about this time of year last year.

Good luck everyone.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 20:38 »
I have just sown some leeks today. I have also potted up half my onion sets as an experiment (though not sure that classes as 'sowing') as I've seen some people on here recommend it. I too have chillis on the go that are looking good and interestingly I sowed some aubergines at the same time - out of the 8 I sowed only 3 have germinated (so far) and out of those 3, 2 look decidedly ropey! So looks like I will be doing another resowing later too but I don't mind - am enjoying experimenting, for me its part of the fun! I have some brassicas on the go too as the seed packets say I can sow them now. In the flower department I also have some sweet peas growing.

Right at the end of the month or possibly even the start of next month I will sow my peppers and tomatoes. I also have some bedding plants to grow for the garden which is all new territory for me!

janet12000

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 20:38 »
Hi MOS.
These were the cucumbers that I bought in a kit for Jake to do just to keep him occupied for a few hours. (the kit was ...ahem....all of a pound, lol)
Out of all the seeds we have sown, these ones have done the best!
They were never even meant to germinate  :ohmy:
I don't have a greenhouse so for now they are still resident on Jacob's window ledge.

Elcie

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 21:13 »
I haven't planted anything yet, but will be getting some compost in the next week or so to start some seeds off soon.  Can't wait  :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 21:13 »
Chicken run and coop, start sowing veg in March when we get more daylight hours.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 21:23 »
I have chillis, aubergine & sweet pepper seedlings on the go on window ledges, and potatoes chitting.

Outdoors in 4-tier greenhouse, I have a few first sowings of early caulis & an early summer purple sprouting broccoli which are all doing fine - they'll be a decent size to take up to the plot by late March. Will sow more of these end of this month in case I lose the first ones in another bout of harsh weather (or if I'm feeling more optimistic, for a sucessional crop). And have a few seed-sown onions. Also got a few broad beans on the go, which I've been growing on as replacements to fill in the gaps around the Oct-sown plot ones that survived the snow but got pulled up by pheasants or mice.

Also sown some sweet peas, lupins & pansies - these are just starting to pop up too.

Had good germination rates all round, apart from the alpine strawberry seeds which did nothing at all.  :(  

xx
How do you plan your growing season?

Started by fluffstermum on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 23:26
by fluffstermum
question
I think my growing plan is wrong?

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 20:16
by azubah
xx
Growing water cress - does this sound like "A Good Plan?"

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 24, 2012, 20:39
by tosca100
xx
What to do in February - 1721

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2007, 19:26
by ytyynycefn

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 40 queries.