** Really poorly chicken... Help much appreciated **

• 4 Replies

Lukemb

** Really poorly chicken... Help much appreciated **
« on: February 05, 2012, 14:31 »
My 10 month old warren chicken is really poorly. She has a droopy wing that seems to have no feeling as she drags it around and stands on her feathers. She is extremely lethargic with puffed out feathers so I'm assuming she's cold all the time and sits in one place in the garden the entire day.

The skin around her eyes is very yellow and her eyes themselves look extremely dazed. She eats and drinks very small amounts only when encouraged but will not actively seek out food, she hasn't laid for 2weeks. We bought chicken vitamin solution but that has had little effect. We also noticed a couple of worms in some of the chicken poo... Could this be what is causing the sickness? We've bought worming solution and just waiting for it to be delivered.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as our little chicken is not well at all!

:(
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 14:34 by Lukemb »

kegs

Re: ** Really poorly chicken... Help much appreciated **
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 14:42 »
Welcome.  What worming solution have you ordered.  The best thing to use is Flubenvet and if you've already seen worms then I'd get some and use it ASAP.  You can also buy it already mixed in with Marriages pellets.  If she's not eating a lot it might help to make the pellets up in to a warm porridge consistency which seems to encourage them to eat.  It could indeed be what is causing the lethargy as if you can see worms them it must be a pretty heavy infestation.

I'll have to let someone else advise on the bad wing though (but I would have thought it might be best to gently strap it up until you can get her to a vet).

Good luck.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 15:09 »
If you are seeing worms in the excrement, it usually means that the chicken has a very high worm burden.

You can start a course of flubenvet, it would be good; however I think that the chicken needs to go to a vet.  Yellowing around the eyes (jaundice) can be a sign of liver problems, which means that the hen is very poorly.

A hen will puff out their feathers if they are feeling under the weather too.

Please consider taking the chicken to the vet tomorrow.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 16:12 »
Please take you hen to the vet.  I think it might have a broken wing on top of worms.  As a boost, put some cider vinegar (the stuff that you can give to horses - not the fancy stuff in the super market) in her water.  It helps balance out her system discourage any more worm growth (I think).
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 19:02 »
I agree vets as soon as possible  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Poorly Chicken

Started by Tazzy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 08:16
by Sassy
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by bertha on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 09:34
by CattinJ
question
Poorly chicken please help!

Started by Kate B on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 10:30
by joyfull
xx
HELP - very poorly chicken

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 17:05
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 40 queries.