should I now take eggs away

• 1 Replies

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
should I now take eggs away
« on: May 11, 2012, 11:29 »
ok im quite an inexperienced hen keeper, and never actually chose to have hens (my neighbour brought us a cock and hen for my son!!!) , i have posted a few times about my hens sitting on eggs.

however, its now been 6 weeks!!!! since my hens have been sitting, some eggs have been laid after the first sitting occured, hen 1 (who started) has now given up?or been pushed out, and hen 2 im sure has been in for over 21 days - but I cannot be sure. I would hate to take the eggs away and then a few days later something would have happened. She has lost condition, should I give her another week just to be sure, or will she give up herself. they are bantams.

Thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: should I now take eggs away
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 15:33 »
I think that a maximum of 24 days for them to hatch.  Your broody will be suffering by sitting for so long. 

You will need to check her over for lice and also check her legs for sores.  Both my broodies had very dry skin on their legs which I treated by applying vaseline every couple of days.  The dryness fell off like a scab and the legs were very sore but were fine after a couple of weeks.  You will need to check her weight and make sure she has plenty of food and water.  There are some tonics so encourage them to eat but I pureed carrots, garlic and apple and them added this to their water.

Broodies can starve themselves to death whilst on the nest so best not to leave her too long.   :)

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 37 queries.