Injured Chicken

• 3 Replies

sarahgeneric

Injured Chicken
« on: November 09, 2021, 00:06 »
Hi all, I am new to the community and hoping for a bit of friendly advice. One of our chickens was subject to a fox attack yesterday, my daughter went outside and caught the fox with one of the chickens in its mouth. She started yelling and scared the fox off. I went out to investigate and found the chicken was still alive. She looked like she was dead initially (not moving, floppy neck) but when we put her down she started squawking (a very sad squawk) and running erratically. She calmed down after a few minutes and her breathing seemed rhythmic so we brought her inside in a box with warm towels to see how she faired overnight. This morning we woke up (after not much sleep!) to find her standing but her neck is still quite floppy. I have found no sign of bleeding or cuts. She is still breathing ok but for the most part she is laying down with her eyes closed and her head not looking quite right. I have been able to syringe her a bit of water. I have tried to make her a neck brace out of toilet paper roll but I'm afraid my neck brace skills are quite lacking- I didn't want to hurt her by making it too tight and as a result it isn't doing too much. I would love to hear anyone's advice or experience with something similar- do you think she could make it? Any ideas/suggestions to help her?

perris

Re: Injured Chicken
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 07:56 »
lots of tlc, make easy-to-eat food e.g. scrambled egg and water easily available (though she might not touch it for a day or two as she'll be in shock); I would remove the neck brace. Change the towels under her to keep her clean and warm. It may take a couple of weeks for her to recover fully, but chickens are very tough and resilient and have remarkable powers of regeneration if given protection and help while they're at it. Good luck, and please keep us posted on her story.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 09:53 »
Warmth and fluids are most important. If you're syringing water into her add some glucose. Shining a bright light on her food might get her to eat. (leaving a darker area for resting). We had an old hen who survived a mink attack & went on to live to be a teenager. Sometimes they're very resilient so always worth trying. Be prepared to forgive yourself if it doesn't work. 

grinling

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 17:06 »
Chickens can be very resilient, but she might have a partial dislocated neck. I would recommend a trip to a vet, check to see if they know anything about poultry.
I would be tempted to see how she goes, have normal hen food and water available and keepin a box but in a room without heating as she could overheat.
The fox will be back, they can climb wire as well as dig in next to fence wire. Check perimeters for disturbance and shut pop hole at night.

xx
HELP INJURED CHICKEN

Started by JMF on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 14:58
by ehs284
sad
Injured chicken

Started by Klarasudveg on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2022, 22:08
by New shoot
xx
Injured Chicken

5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 12:50
by kegs
xx
Injured Chicken Update

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2012, 14:22
by joyfull

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 42 queries.