soft eggs

• 1 Replies

mshort

soft eggs
« on: January 03, 2012, 21:00 »
I am quite new to keeping chickens. One of my ginger chooks lays soft eggs. Sometimes they are normal size ans some times they are more like a marble, maybe even 2 at a time. Why is this and is there anything i should do or can do to help

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: soft eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 23:58 »
 ;)  Welcome to the site mshort.

The marble sized eggs are called wind eggs and don't have any yolk.  Think they can be formed when the hens system is tricked into thinking a yolk has been released by a bit of grit etc.

If you feed your hen primarily on layers pellets, cut out the treats including excessive greens and have crushed oyster shell available at all times this should help.  If your hen is young and just started to lay things should improve as she gets the in the swing of things.  Some older hens lay soft shelled eggs when they are coming to the end of their laying time.  Just keep an eye out for any signs of ill health as soft shelled eggs can break inside the hen and cause infection/death.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
Soft Eggs

Started by WoodyK on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 06, 2008, 16:34
by WoodyK
xx
soft eggs

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 20:33
by Pretty Chick
xx
soft eggs again

Started by marygall on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 18:36
by marygall

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 38 queries.