Moving house used to be so easy.

• 11 Replies

Goosegirl

Moving house used to be so easy.
« on: February 14, 2020, 12:43 »
Offers on our house and the one we want to buy have been accepted, yo, then we got a rather large packet of legal documents from our solicitors. I wish there had been a covering letter to say they'd sent duplicates to let us know there was one we had to fill in for them and another for our records. Cue Goosey on her knees trying to sort them all out with various accompanying words like "Hang on, I've just seen that doc which I filed on the right-hand side of my chair. Don't tell me I've got two lots of docs, der! Having got to grips with that possibility I continued to sort them all out into docs that were just info only and those that had to be filled in. All was going well until I found two docs with the same cover page but their contents differed. My OH and I managed as best we could but we've got an appointment with our solicitors this afternoon so they can sort it all out for us!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

Re: Moving house used to be so easy.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 12:53 »
Congratulations & yes there does seem much more to fill in now, plus the solicitors & estate agents seem to expect that you know about it all even if as in our case 14 years ago we told them we’d only ever bought 1 house before :wacko:. I’m sure your solicitor will help you out at least that’s what you pay them for.
What’s your new place like?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 12:59 »
We're going through the same right now, and yes it's a pain!
Mercifully we have a decent solicitor and the estate agents involved are great. Just want to get it done ASAP though as I want to show off the blank canvas garden we'll have :)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 10:33 »
And, I am still going through it, with Mum's.     Yesterday the estate agent rang, to tell me that the buyers of the buyers that want to buy mine (are you keeping up with this  :D)  are having their mortgage survey done on Monday.   My first mental question is why ?  I was told they are downsizing to a much smaller property, so why do they need a mortgage !.    Secondly, Why has it taken seven or eight weeks only to get this far.  I signed my contract 3 weeks ago, so did my buyers who have done all their packing.     It is real "high blood pressure" thing.    Good luck,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 13:02 »
House move last year after 42 years was the most traumatic thing ever.  Chain of 3,   only sorted when our buyer told his buyer that it they did not complete on the day they had suggested he would put his house back on the market and refuse to sell it to them. 

I think the buyers at the bottom  were hoping he would drop the price in order to speed things up. 

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 13:36 »
Ok MB. Whoever is buying a home from your prospective buyer may need a survey as part of a condition of their mortgage or whatever. Once their survey is done and all goes well, the people who want to buy your Mum's place can then proceed (unless their survey goes doo-dahs up) to fill in all the documentation along with evidence that they have enough funds to purchase your mum's home.
Do this for me.
1) You shouldn't have been advised to sign a contract before buyer number one had a survey done on buyer number two's house in case it needed a lot of remedial work because it may have resulted in a bit of haggling for a lower price.
2) Don't pay any money to your solicitor in case it all falls through because you'll lose it all.
3) Don't sign anything else until you have legal documentary proof from buyer number two to state they are still in a financial position to buy your mum's house.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 17:08 »
Ok MB. Whoever is buying a home from your prospective buyer may need a survey as part of a condition of their mortgage or whatever. Once their survey is done and all goes well, the people who want to buy your Mum's place can then proceed (unless their survey goes doo-dahs up) to fill in all the documentation along with evidence that they have enough funds to purchase your mum's home.
Do this for me.
1) You shouldn't have been advised to sign a contract before buyer number one had a survey done on buyer number two's house in case it needed a lot of remedial work because it may have resulted in a bit of haggling for a lower price.
2) Don't pay any money to your solicitor in case it all falls through because you'll lose it all.
3) Don't sign anything else until you have legal documentary proof from buyer number two to state they are still in a financial position to buy your mum's house.

I need to correct some legal inaccuracies here.

1) There is no risk in signing your part of the contract early.  It is not a valid document until everyone is happy with the chain, and no further changes need to be made, and all the solicitors at that time complete the necessary outstanding pieces of the contracts - at which time they become legally binding documents.  Until that time, they can be updated and re-signed without you incurring any legal liability.

2) It is either misleading, or categorically wrong, to say that you will lose any money you pay to your solicitor before exchange of contracts - depending on what money you are referring to
- If you are having searches etc. done for your purchase, then you have to pay that money up front in order for your solicitor to carry out those searches etc.  Entirely up to you whether you pause your purchase pending the buyers at the bottom of the chain getting a survey done, but bear in mind that if you do stop making any progress on your purchase then others may become worried that you are not committed to moving, and thus pull out of buying your place. 
- In relation to money for the deposit for your purchase, this is 100% safe and there is absolutely no risk of you losing it.  To say otherwise is scaremongering.  It is held by your solicitor on your behalf in protected accounts.  If the purchase does not go ahead, you will get it all back.  Of course, you will still have to pay your solicitors' fees unless you have a No Fee deal.

3) I am not sure what other documents you may still have to sign.  However, if you're not sure then ask your solicitor.  As I already said, you are not committing yourself to anything by signing your half of documentation - it does not become valid unless and until the chain goes ahead.  It is standard good practice for you to be asked by your solicitor to sign various documents in advance so that you are in a position to proceed immediately - things can happen very quickly at the end.

Sorry to word this so strongly but it's important to ask your solicitor if you have any worries or concerns, rather than rely on well-meaning advice from friends off the internet.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 20:42 »
I have thoroughly read and inwardly digested all those comments.   Mine are as follows:    Contracts have been signed so that they are ready to be exchanged at the whistle.
I am not buying anything. I am only selling.
I have been told that my buyers require no mortgage, which I know is true,and I know them personally.
Don't think either  myself or my buyers were initially informed, that "The Lady with the big house, Downsizing" is now looking for a small mortgage. and is having a mortgage survey done.   (probably wants a holiday !).    The purchasers behind that both have their mortgage offers
Finally,  my Solicitor has been so for many years and is very experienced.     Also, so is the advice offered by my Son, who  is a Lawyer, with a staff of eight people, and  prior to retirement I was a paralegal.

Remember all buyers are liars - so are most estate agents.    b ut some of your info is correct.   Mrs Bouquet
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 20:50 by mrs bouquet »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 22:11 »
Glad it was helpful in part Mrs B  :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 11:38 »
Yorkie, please accept my apologies for any inaccuracies I posted. The money I was referring to is an up-front fee for the work your solicitor has done to date. According to my mortgage advisor, if the buyers for your house or the vendors for your new house pull out for what ever reason you will lose that money. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 17:07 »
Yorkie, please accept my apologies for any inaccuracies I posted. The money I was referring to is an up-front fee for the work your solicitor has done to date. According to my mortgage advisor, if the buyers for your house or the vendors for your new house pull out for what ever reason you will lose that money.

No worries - you're completely right about the disbursements which you have to pay before the solicitor does the work  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 14:14 »
Thanks Yorkie and phew! Some people do this right at the last moment and I didn't want MB to lose any money.

xx
GG's moving house.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post June 13, 2019, 07:36
by GraciesGran
xx
Moving house.

1 Replies
Last post September 04, 2019, 15:34
by mrs bouquet
xx
Nothing's easy is it!

11 Replies
Last post October 24, 2018, 15:10
by madcat
xx
Seal Easy Bags

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2019, 17:01
by Lardman

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 51 queries.