I hate this house.

• 25 Replies

Lardman

I hate this house.
« on: January 03, 2024, 10:23 »
Heard scrabbling in the roof space above the kitchen the other morning - I was hoping it was going to be a squirrel so I put a camera up there to check - it wasn't.

Watching the footage, it comes in from the gap in wall opposite which the space for an air brick but from within the wall cavity itself, it didn't leave the same way so there are at least 2 places I need to plug up. I can't get to anything on that side either as there are wall cabinet under the ceiling there.

I am so sick of rodents.
hate_this_house.JPG

Goosegirl

Re: I hate this house.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 10:32 »
Can you use some expanding foam to block up any cavities and other small spaces?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 10:41 »
Oh no just what you don’t need to start the year with. Is it a case of removing the wall units & getting to it all once & for all?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 11:10 »
I honestly don't know how it's getting into the cavity which is supposed to be full of insulation, I guess they stopped the insulation at that level rather than work around the air brick to leave a hole. The air brick gap is supposed to be enclosed from the cavity anyway.

The whole place was just cobbled together by cowboys and is now falling apart, this is the same roof that the felt is leaking, the end sheet needs replacing as it's all ripped and felt support trays need installing, I pulled the ceiling down in the utility last year when it all leaked and flooded but haven't had the energy to plaster that yet.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 19:14 »
What a start to the new year  :(

I do sympathise.  We have started re-doing our bathroom and the old shower came out to reveal a leak due to a bodged installation.  It was only a drip, but over time they make quite a mess.  It has taken days to dry the wall out with a dehumidifier and heater going almost 24/7  >:(

Christine

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 19:20 »
All these repairs are a drain on the pocket aren't they?

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 19:47 »
I just can't face dismantling all the kitchen and trying to find somewhere to store things that Max can't pee up or on, every spare inch already has boxes piled high. I've been tossing poison up there and I've seen it take several blocks now. I think it may be nesting in the insulation above one of the down lighters where it's nice and warm.

re-doing our bathroom and the old shower came out to reveal a leak due to a bodged installation.

Makes you wonder about tradesmen really, especially when it comes to stuff like water pipes that are going to be enclosed - I could fill a book with all the bodge jobs I've put right here and another with the todo list.

All these repairs are a drain on the pocket aren't they?

In a word - yes, time, money and energy any two of which are always in short supply at any point.  The rodent problem is one of the joys of living near a park, I see people throwing bread out for the ducks - but I see what really eats it.

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 14:34 »
It's eaten an entire packet of ratkiller  :ohmy: and is still fit as a fiddle.  It's also avoided all the traps I've put up there despite bating them with lumps of prime slow cooked piggy skin. :mad: Tomorrow phase 2 - I'm taking out all the fibreglass insulation and making it homeless. If that doesn't encourage it to naff off I'll have to drop the ceiling so I can get up there.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 15:42 »
Could you get or borrow a cat, or a jack russell terrier ?  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2024, 16:36 »
Oh dear, hopefully January will end with his & friends demise and that will be one job off your list

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2024, 20:23 »
Which rat killer are you using?  We had rats coming into our garden from a neighbours for months and couldn’t get rid of them until we switched to one called Formula B.  I think it came from EBay.  That got rid of them in days.

The neighbour has a ramshackle shed that is unused and they were nesting under there.  I tried talking to them about it, but they blame everyone but themself - next door to them has a pile of builders rubble in the garden, one further down decking …

Garden centres are always plagued by rats and the favourite bait for traps is usually peanut butter.  The rats have to stay there and lick it rather than nick the bait and run, so are more likely to get caught.  It was a daily chore for someone to check the traps and get them away out of sight before the customers got there. 

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2024, 22:38 »
It's roshield wax block stuff, I had some packets leftover from the last time Roland invaded.  Id much rather use the snap traps as you can get rid of them after wards rather than smell them for weeks. I'd initially baited them with peanut butter, I can see one of the traps with the camera and it knows to avoid it regardless of what I bait it with. It really wants the piggy but wont take it and there's no way it's coming off the trap without triggering it as the skin is hooked onto the trigger plate.

I've just ordered some formula b, it's not like I wont use it.

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2024, 09:12 »
I'd lend you my tortie cat Daphne who can smell a rodent from 50 miles away. She has the patience of a Saint and have seen her in action many times. Unfortunately she's now retired but is on hand to give advice if needed.  :) Any farmer friends there who could supply you with the atomic bomb stuff that really does the job? No H&S certificates needed, just a pint or few in your local.

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2024, 12:20 »
Any farmer friends there who could supply you with the atomic bomb stuff that really does the job? No H&S certificates needed, just a pint or few in your local.
Sadly all passed away now - I have to play by the rules like everyone else.  :(

The problem is access up there - I have no idea how the rats are getting up it's a sealed space at least I thought it was, otherwise I'd put Max up there for a few minutes even at his age there wouldn't be a rat problem any more  ::) I think they might be a bit too large for a cat to handle.  I had to cut a section of plasterboard out to put the camera up.

Roland is now homeless - it was a lot more work than it should have been and the smell was enough to turn even the strongest stomach but all the insulation has now been removed and bagged up to be binned.

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2024, 15:43 »
Any farmer friends there who could supply you with the atomic bomb stuff that really does the job? No H&S certificates needed, just a pint or few in your local.
Sadly all passed away now - I have to play by the rules like everyone else.  :(

The problem is access up there - I have no idea how the rats are getting up it's a sealed space at least I thought it was, otherwise I'd put Max up there for a few minutes even at his age there wouldn't be a rat problem any more  ::) I think they might be a bit too large for a cat to handle.  I had to cut a section of plasterboard out to put the camera up.

Roland is now homeless - it was a lot more work than it should have been and the smell was enough to turn even the strongest stomach but all the insulation has now been removed and bagged up to be binned.

Well that’s a good job done, any bodies? Where was the smell coming from? Can you put a smoke bomb up there & see if there’s any trace of it outside to guide you to the entry point? You know the sort they put in chimneys to check for cracking etc

xx
Household tasks you hate

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post November 02, 2021, 09:00
by rowlandwells
xx
Hate this time of year

Started by jambop on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2019, 10:04
by jambop
xx
5 things I hate about Christmas cards.

Started by JayG on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post December 20, 2018, 11:44
by wapello
xx
Bat in the house

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post August 31, 2019, 15:36
by RubyRed

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 51 queries.